Dropping all legacy and older Nvidia drivers ?!?

Geforce 210video card(XFCE): with this new update and having to uninstall the proprietary driver (version 340), I also decided to uninstall the free driver (video-linux for GT218) because it seems to conflict with GTK3 in some applications ( when the system starts, the title bar and the margin turn white and do not show the maximize, close, etc. buttons, so when uninstalling this video-linux driver the GTK3 style does not suffer problems, but unfortunately when Like video-Linux using kernels 5.9 and 5.10, manjaro suffers from slowing down when opening videos (both in chromium and in firefox) or crashes when using applications for a while (mainly related to configuration or thunar). Fortunately, all this behavior is not observed when using kernel 5.4 (apparently this anomalous behavior may be due to the KWORKER / u processes)

I have had this problem clear for more than a decade, that only hardware that works on libre drivers is worth officially supporting.

1 Like

The rolling release is free with me. It’s just a reminder that I really need to switch to amd asap because I run a gtx 960 so I have time before it’s not supported but the clock is ticking.

3 Likes

I made the right decision 1 year ago to sell the Nvidia GTX 1070 and buy an AMD Radeon RX 5700. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

One month ago I sold my 1080Ti and bought Radeon 5700 XT. I don’t regret one bit :heart_eyes: Never again will I buy NVidia card.

4 Likes

Hi, can I ask If I’ll have an issue after updating, I’m kinda a Noob, still just learning.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_MONETARY = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LC_MEASUREMENT = "en_SG.UTF-8",
        LC_TIME = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LC_NUMERIC = "en_GB.UTF-8",
        LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_GB.UTF-8").
System:    Host: Lair Kernel: 5.4.80-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: N/A serial: <superuser/root required> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TYKPW v: A00 serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: Dell v: A17 date: 05/14/2019 
CPU:       Info: Dual Core Intel Core i5-5200U [MT MCP] speed: 1685 MHz min/max: 500/2700 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] driver: N/A 
           Device-3: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.3 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.20 TiB used: 688.13 GiB (56.0%) 
Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 1h 16m Memory: 7.69 GiB used: 3.09 GiB (40.1%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.1.08

I do not know about you guys but, here in Turkey, I need to pay at least 8 times more to get a graphic card, another tech thing or a whole new machine. And that’s so optimistic thinking the tax rates and importers in the middle, which makes it about 16 times more than you do to pay. So we try to stick to what we have and use it to full extent.

I mean, you could’ve found a way to have the drivers on older kernels. I am okay with using an older kernel. You might think “No, older kernels have bugs, security issues…” or whatever but I’ll use it if there’s no way.

It was a good run but I think I’ll go back to Kubuntu where nvidia-340xx is still supported and guaranteed to be supported until 2023.

And, no, nouveau sucks. I, BTW, accidentally type here, without looking, because of these crazy flickering issues.

2 Likes

current (450xx and 455xx) nvidia driver has unresolved bug for several months that causes driver crash and restart or system completely freezing … this mostly happens when running chromium based browsers but it doesn’t matter … what does matter is, that 440.xx didn’t have the bug and running this older driver was the only option to have stable system … after removing this driver even for LTS kernels system crashes are back and only way around (compiling driver myself) is too inconvenient for average user … sorry to say, but it is easier to change distro than fighting the drivers every update

You could try installing nvidia-440xx-dkms and nvidia-440xx-utils from AUR, if that works, it’s quite simple and no manual compilation, etc. is required.

2 Likes

mhwd, easy nvidia driver management and selection for compatibility was one of the biggest advantages over other distros that manjaro had … now it’s gone

btw AUR failed to satisfy dependencies … the two packagaes require each other and wouldn’t build … and more hassle is what I just cannot worry about after every update

at least bring back some older drivers for LTS kernel, please

I agree it’s not an optimal situation, and at least some drivers could have been kept for older kernels, I’m just trying to provide alternative solutions to the problem. By the way, you’re partially right, pamac and paru for some reason cannot find the right dependency, however, yay can. So yay -S nvidia-440xx-dkms should work.

I agree. Manjaro team should either get rid of the older LTS kernels entirely or keep the drivers that support them but only for those kernels. Getting rid of the drivers just because they didn’t run on the kernel that’s not even LTS was not a reason to get rid of them. From a developer standpoint it shouldn’t be hard to run in if check on whether or not the user is running a kernel that supports the driver. I myself am not even running the latest LTS Kernel I’m still on 4.19. ( I’m considering switching to the latest LTS Kernel today but that’s beside the point since 5.9 isn’t an LTS kernel)

If it is hard to keep that backwards compatibility even doing it that way then you should just get rid of the older LTS kernels entirely because keeping them without those drivers is kind of a tease for users.

I know I said before that it’s fine for me and it just pushes me to switch over to AMD quicker which is all true but I didn’t think about it from a general user perspective.

Ok, here are my 2 cents about this:

Keeping up that support of all those damn nvidia driver versions in combinations with the different kernel versions is a maintenance nightmare → I can fully understand the decision of dropping some nvidia drivers.

Now guys, here is the way out of the misery:

To those who need their specific driver versions → Form a team of volunteers and build whatever drivers for whatever kernel versions you need (it’s not that hard, there are guides out here, see the one from @philm). Get a VPS (heck, I’m even sure the costs would be covered by manjaro (donations)), create a repository and offer your work to the public…

WIN <-> WIN situation → You get your drivers, learn something and give back to the community!
This is how free and open-source software works (at least it should…):

Use. Improve. Give back. Be happy. (repeat)

Ah and next time you buy a gfx card, don’t buy the nvidia bullshit please :wink:

1 Like

Another obvious solution is to use Arch packages:

lib32-nvidia-utils
lib32-opencl-nvidia
nvidia-utils
opencl-nvidia
nvidia-dkms
nvidia-settings

Go to packages.archlinux.org and download these files or their PKGBUILDs to build them by yourselves.
After installation, add them to IgnorePkg section of /etc/pacman.conf and that’s it.

maybe talk to Nvidia or Erdogan about that :wink:

1 Like

Even though it’s possible to use AUR versions of the driver the newcomers to distro aren’t going to want to do that (or even know how) even though it’s not arch difficulty level of install the fact that it’s an extra step after installation isn’t newcomer friendly it takes away from there simplicity that the distro markets itself on.

1 Like

I definitely cannot use Nouveau drivers for my computer at this time. Many games just do not run with it active, as well as some of my other graphics software. Luckily I’m able to use the 455 drivers just fine, but if proprietary drivers ever stopped working I’d be completely unable to do anything other than desktop work, which is a big problem for me. I realise that proprietary drivers are less than ideal but at least they work.

2 Likes

I agree. My point was about what users can do about it for now. But the real question is why Manjaro devs do not use dkms instead of compiling modules for each kernel. Let them compile on a user’s machine I would say. Maybe I just don’t see some obvious obstacle though…

They didn’t. Amazing thing is, such an advanced distro’s maintainers doesn’t get why LTS kernels exist. Manjaro was the one of the easiest distros you can stick with LTS kernels and forget it, now there is no point.

1 Like

It was already a very “E” thing to do, breaking 5.4 LTS compatibility for no reason at all. I almost got banned from a distro’s channel for saying how easy Manjaro makes to get your gfx card supported for next 5 years thanks to LTS kernel/nvidia 340 combination.