Driver Compability for the AMD RX 6700 XT

Hey,

I’m planning to build a new PC for work and some gaming and I want to know if the AMD RX 6700 XT would run and if there are good enough drivers for it. Some told me its actuall bullsh*t to use AMD cards with manjaro but someone else also told me its as easy as 1,2,3 to install the correct drivers. So what’s the reality? I would like to be able to play games like minecraft with at least 200fps.

The reality is that you have drivers out of box, no driver installation or configuration is needed.

I don’t know about Minecraft, but Cyberpunk 2077 is playable on highest settings on my RX 6600 XT, so I suppose higher model is better :wink:

Thank you so much. so its basically the same as for nvidia? I’ve got an GTX 1070 and I just hand to active nvidia-gpu drivers and everything was running properly.

The problem some are referring to is removal of specific codecs from mesa open driver shipped with manjaro which means no gpu acceleration of video decode/encode.
But games are not affected by this. The rx 6700 xt I bought few weeks ago was running without reinstalling anything but i had an amd gpu before, so the switch from nvidia may be more complicated.

How is Games not affected by this?
Most games have cinematics and they need to be decoded

Not sure about games but the lack of codecs doesn’t mean they won’t play just they won’t be rendered by the dedicated gpu. They’ll either be handled by the integrated graphics or software rendered. Tbh I don’t think the average user will even notice the difference

Handled by what integrated graphics?

Sure it could use my CPU, but my CPU has better things to do.
It’s an immense difference playing YouTube in 4K on the Nouveau drivers than on Nvidias proprietary drivers on my work machine (Ubuntu).

I expect the same with loosing GPU Decoding on AMD on my home machine.

I’m not saying I agree with the decision to drop codecs I was just saying your videos will still play so the games will still work

If Im not mistaken only H.264 and H.265 codecs were removed. Videos that use vp9 or av1 are still gpu accelerated with mesa drivers. There is also openh264. You can read more here: