Dota2 OpenGL 3.1 Error

Hello. I’m newbie on Manjaro XFCE. I’m playing Dota2 for years, I know my laptop is pretty old but I could play since yesterday. I warned like “your graphics card doesn’t support OpenGL 3.1”. But I can play on Windows 7 with same laptop. I ve searched a little bit. Here is command for mesa driver version.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.5 

How can I update this. Can you explain like explaining to a dumb?

Thanks

Hello and welcome!

Could be possible that your intel gpu uses DRI2.

Could you provide more detailed information?

inxi -Gxxxa

thanks

Thanks sir! Here is the reply.

inxi -Gxxxa
sh: line 1: 36071 Killed                  ps aux 2> /dev/null
sh: line 1: 36075 Killed                  ps -p 36059 -o comm= 2> /dev/null
sh: line 1: 36081 Killed                  ps aux 2> /dev/null
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0046 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.5 
  direct render: Yes 

Ok i see, your GPU is really to old for opengl3.1 and on windows you use directx9 anyway. But you could try this:

open a terminal and create file:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

and put this into it:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
  Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

save it and reboot.

Check which version you are using:

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

If this is not helping it can go really hack`ish and there is no warranty that is will work properly. If you use steam, then add this to the start options:

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.1 %command%

This will report the application that you have version 3.1, even if you don’t have it. Could be possible that you cant use some graphic options in dota2 or it will just crash. But worth a try.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will try it tomorrow. OS couldn’t start somehow after the first solutions reboot. I’m gonna try the second one. Thanks for your help. I will reply the result here. Have a nice day!

1 Like

Hey again. Sorry for late reply! I have tried your suggestions but they didn’t work at all. I am copying the other laptops command here;

inxi -Gxxxa
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RV710/M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570/545v] 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  chip ID: 1002:9553 
  Device-2: Chicony Acer CrystalEye Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  bus ID: 2-5:2 chip ID: 04f2:b044 serial: SN0001 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev,vesa display ID: :0.0 screens: 1 
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1366x768 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 361x203mm (14.2x8.0") 
  s-diag: 414mm (16.3") 
  Monitor-1: LVDS res: 1366x768 hz: 60 dpi: 101 size: 344x193mm (13.5x7.6") 
  diag: 394mm (15.5") 
  OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A direct render: N/A 

Can you help with this?

Could you post the output of:

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

:slight_smile:

I really thanks for your all help @megavolt

lxinfo | grep OpenGL
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  37
  Current serial number in output stream:  38

And the output of:

pamac search mesa | grep -i install

ps: please post code like this:

```
code
```

pamac search mesa | grep -i install no output comes with this but this pamac search mesa here;

pamac search mesa
vulkan-radeon                                              [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  extra 
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver
vulkan-intel                                               [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  extra 
    Intel's Vulkan mesa driver
lib32-vulkan-radeon                                        [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  multilib 
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver (32-bit)
lib32-vulkan-intel                                         [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  multilib 
    Intel's Vulkan mesa driver (32-bit)
vulkan-mesa-layers                                                           20.1.6-1  extra 
    Mesa's Vulkan layers
opencl-mesa                                                                  20.1.6-1  extra 
    OpenCL support for AMD/ATI Radeon mesa drivers
lib32-vulkan-mesa-layers                                                     20.1.6-1  multilib 
    Mesa's Vulkan layers (32-bit)
lib32-opencl-mesa                                                            20.1.6-1  multilib 
    OpenCL support for AMD/ATI Radeon mesa drivers (32-bit)
libva-mesa-driver                                          [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  extra 
    VA-API implementation for gallium
lib32-mesa-vdpau                                           [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  multilib 
    Mesa VDPAU drivers (32-bit)
lib32-mesa-demos                                           [Kurulu paketler] 8.4.0-2   multilib 
    Mesa demos and tools (32-bit)
lib32-mesa                                                 [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  multilib 
    An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification (32-bit)
lib32-libva-mesa-driver                                    [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  multilib 
    VA-API implementation for gallium (32-bit)
mesa-vdpau                                                 [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  extra 
    Mesa VDPAU drivers
mesa-demos                                                 [Kurulu paketler] 8.4.0-4   extra 
    Mesa demos and tools incl. glxinfo + glxgears
mesa                                                       [Kurulu paketler] 20.1.6-1  extra 
    An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification

??? you missed the “g” ?

1 Like

No, I just missed the ‘g’ while copying.

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 152 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 37
Current serial number in output stream: 38

I think your GPU is too old for the free driver and needs the proprietary driver for opengl, which was used before.

But you have to downgrade the x-server and have to use a lower kernel. But will be really difficult on manjaro.

AMD Catalyst™ 13.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver Source

Automated installer and Display Drivers for Xorg 6.9 to Xserver 1.12 and Kernel version up to 3.4

To be clear. These versions are not maintained anymore, but on older versions of other distributions it should work (Ubuntu 16.04 could work), which are already not maintained.

Otherwise… I would suggest to try different kernels (since the radeon driver are built into the kernel). On manjaro it is quite easy:

List all available kernels:

mhwd-kernel --list

Install a kernel like this:

sudo mhwd-kernel --install linux44

That displays all available commands:

mhwd-kernel --help

Then reboot and hold Shift when booting to choose the kernel in the grub boot menu.

Thanks. Hope this will solve :slight_smile: .

Final question here;

mhwd-kernel --list
available kernels:

• linux414
  • linux419
  • linux44
  • linux49
  • linux54
  • linux57
  • linux58
  • linux59
  • linux54-rt
  • linux56-rt
    [oguzhan@oguzhan-aspire5738 ~]$ mhwd-kernel --install linux44
    Error: Please run as root.
sudo mhwd-kernel --install linux44

That kernel is not showing up while boot selection. Thanks for your help megavolt you are the best. I’m just giving up. I’m gonna try Ubuntu 16.04.

Final of final question for you :slight_smile: If I get a new computer with latest version of AMD Radeon, would I face with same problem again?

1 Like

The newest AMD GPUs are supported by amdgpu module which is open source. The radeon module (also open source) is there for backward compatibility. While really old GPUs could work, but not all features works, just basic things.

Good success :wink:

not sure if its worth mentioning?

but dota 2 can run using either opengl OR vulkan

it could be worth using a vulkan launch option to see if that’ll work?