Doom game not launching anymore in Steam

So try to verify it, but this tool is only used by Proton 5.13, AFAIK.

ahah! Is Doom installed on a NTFS partition then?

No, the {APPID} folder, so here the 379720 folder

Yep, probably AT LEAST part of the issue.

Here is WIKI about it. It is possible to run Proton games from NTFS partition but apparently there are steps to make it work properly: Using a NTFS disk with Linux and Windows · ValveSoftware/Proton Wiki · GitHub

Yes I know it is a bit trickier on ntfs partitions especially for permissions but I did all the preparations. Most of my games are on ntfs partitions in my dual boot system. They works fine. Doom hasn’t move. It was all working ok.

Sadly, I cannot get it to launch in trying that too. Btw the “…soldier” library was not installed, so I did but it make no difference. It is not even installed on my Nvidia machine either but Doom works.

So I’ll make a pause for a while. It’s working fine on windows 10.
Thanks

Are you sharing the library between Windows and Linux Steam clients?

OK whatever. Have fun.

Perhaps try NTfix (ntfix-git in the AUR).

1 Like

That basically does what he said he has done when I gave the Proton WIKI link Using a NTFS disk with Linux and Windows · ValveSoftware/Proton Wiki · GitHub but yeah, probably an issue there :\ but user gave up for now so nothing we can do to help him now.

Another thing I wanted to have him verify, is that is the disk actually mounted when he tries to launch the game :rofl:

If the disk wasn’t mounted steam would prompt for a place to install it.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn’t even appear as installed in that case as Steam checks the defined libraries, and the ACF files in the library telling which games are installed in the library.

Ok I got a bit of time before going to bed. I read the last posts. No, you are looking at the wrong place. The ntfs partitions are mounted at boot in fstab. Steam is extremely finicky to install games on those partitions. They have to be permanently mounted with exec permission. Steam won’t mount partitions for you. Listen, how do you think Steam is able to validate the files if it cannot read them ? Beside, there are others games there which have no issue. Of course Steam is independent in Windows and Linux. It can’t share libraries. I also made sure that the same games are installed at different places in Windows and Linux. They have no common games folders.

All the native Linux games use the same video drivers and work fine. New Vulkan libraries ? I need to install another windows game that use steamplay, if there is the same issue. I’ll let you know.
Tx

Ok I install a “windows only” game in the same partition (Wolfenstein The Now Order) as Doom. I copy the game folder from the Steam in Windows to Steam Linux to save the 40GB download. Damned it start flawlessly ! Doom still doesn’t want to go. I have no idea.
Tx
Good night …

Do you have a very bad internet connection and/or are you paying per MB downloaded?
I’m just wondering because I don’t think the hassle is worth it for those few GBs…

I mean your issue could be any tiny file in the game folder which has a lower/upper case or rights issue or …

Regarding your issue I would try:

1. Verify integrity of game files (in Steam under Properties - Local Files)
  2. Redownload Game-Files under Steam-Linux (even if there is no issue found under 1.)

hth

Ah well now Wolfenstein refuse to launch too. There is definitely a problem with proton games on Manjaro testing branch for what seems to be AMD cards (Rx570) only.

Finally I install the stable version and that fix the problem. I’ll never know.
Thanks

You installed the stable version of what?

1 Like

Most likely using the NTFS partition for your Proton games is the issue as explained it requires specific proper setup for it to work as expected.

A complete new Manjaro “stable” version installation instead of the “testing” version. What else ?

Why does people keep repeating the same thing again and again ? I know about NTFS partitions and Steam. I use the same NTFS partitions now with my new stable installation. That wasn’t the problem.