Doom game not launching anymore in Steam

This is new. There as been a couple of updates from Manjaro (testing) and from Steam itself but now Doom refuse to launch. All the other games works fine but Doom just say it is launching but doesn’t do anything and return to a launch status. It use to work fine before but I don’t know when exactly it fail. A recheck of all the files by steam report nothing. Tried a few things but it’s not going. Any idea ?
Note : Doom in windows 10 works fine (separate folder)

Also I copy the Steam Doom folder over to another Manjaro machine (stable) with an Nvidia GT750ti and after a couple on adjustments, it run fine there.

Manjaro Xfce testing
cpu Ryzen 2600
mem 32 GB
video AMD Rx-570

Run steam from a terminal, run DOOM and read the output for exit messages.

1 Like

Ok `Starting app 379720

Adding process 20317 for game ID 379720
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/maurice/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 379720, ActionID 3] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with “”
GameAction [AppID 379720, ActionID 3] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with “”
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/maurice/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/maurice/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/maurice/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

Adding process 20318 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20319 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20322 for game ID 379720
Adding process 20324 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20326 for game ID 379720
Adding process 20329 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20336 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20338 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20344 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20363 for game ID 379720
Adding process 20369 for game ID 379720

Adding process 20378 for game ID 379720
00f8:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0000000000AC0000 0 000000000031EC90 4 stub
pid 20320 != 20319, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
Game removed: AppID 379720 “”, ProcID 20317
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Exiting app 379720
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.`

In future use a paste bin or text between 3 backticks. ```

I can’t see any useful errors here, however.

This is the only relevant line.

This is nonsense to me, either your system is 64 or 32 bit, and you have one or the other error message, but here you have both?

Anyway, of course it is 64 bits system. Don’t ask me about these errors, I don’t know :thinking:

Can anyone please confirm on their systems ?

I cannot get that "paste bin" to work. How do I do that ? What symbol do I use ?
I cannot get that "paste bin" to work. How do I do that ? What symbol do I use ?
I cannot get that "paste bin" to work. How do I do that ? What symbol do I use ? It is a French keyboard ```

Like this

There are alternatives available.

The gameoverlayrenderer errors are expected and can be ignored.

Thanks for your patience. Trying bpaste.net
Test
View paste QJRQ

Don’t think that’s what you want. We need a scrolling text box ???

No. You expect to fail to load the 32 bit library OR the 64 bits library, but one should load. Here both fail. To me this is absolutely not expected to have both 32 and 64 to fail to load. I’m not omniscient though, so I can be wrong.

That good.

//EDIT: output of inxi -Fazy please

//EDIT2: What Proton version are you using? Did you force any parameter in Steam (settings or game properties)? Are you using steam-runtime or steam-manjaro?

@omano You mean steam-native. It’s not an or situation. steam-native is either installed, or it isn’t. It does not provide steam

steam-manjaro is the only way to install steam from the repos.

I’m asking what he’s using. So yeah he’s using steam the normal way or he’s using the steam native, which then use steam internal runtime.

//EDIT: You confused me I meant steam-runtime and corrected with steam-native, anyway here is reference Steam/Troubleshooting - ArchWiki

https://bpa.st/JOPA

Proton 5.13.1 according to Steam (latest)
steam-manjaro - no additional parameters. Start from Gui or Steam menu shortcut

Question : Does Steam use wine at all or use it’s own things ? It’s certainly use the mesa-vulkan drivers supplied by Manjaro.

If you start your windows game directly from Steam, it uses its Proton internal modification of WINE, which you should prefer. I finish this game so I can confirm it is working flawlessly in Steam (Nvidia though on my side, still you should run it without issue).

Proton 5.13 needs the tool called Steam Linux Runtime - Soldier in your Library → Tools category, make sure it is installed and verify the files through Steam.

You can try to do the basic troubleshooting steps for Proton games:

Note that deleting the Proton prefix will delete all files within, like configs and savegames. It may automatically be saved by Steam and properly imported when recreating the prefix, but to be on the safe side, rename it instead so you could always bring you savegame back :wink:

Thanks for the tips.
1- If you read my first port, yes first thing to do is the recheck the files through Steam. I did confirm the game works fine on my Nvidia based system.
2 Linux Runtime Soldier - I can’t find that. Where is that ?
3- the subfolder “compatdata” does not exist in “~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps”. Its doesn’t exist either in my Nvidia machine.
4- Use to work fine 2 weeks ago. Could be an update that broke it.

I will try to install another windows game to see if it goes. The ones I have are Linux natives.

I know but I linked to an old post on another thread so the instruction is what it was back then

It is a tool that should be installed along Proton 5.13, in your TOOLS category, in your LIBRARY.

If the folder doesn’t exist then you’re using another library than the default one… so browse to the library folder of DOOM, to find the compatdata folder.

For simpler troubleshooting, ignore Proton 5.13 for now and use previous Proton 5.0 and eventually if the issue is fixed, then move to Proton 5.13.

Ok may be I am a bit slow but “Library-> Tools” in what menu ??? Steam, Xfce …?

The “compatdata” folder is in the drive path/Steam/steamapps folder. There is no libraries in Doom. Only config and save games.

Proton 5 make no difference.

It is in your Library. Your STEAM LIBRARY. In the TOOLS category.

I don’t understand anything, instruction are pretty clear what are you talking about?

So it is not the default path where you installed the game, right? So you have another library where you installed the game so adapt what I wrote to match your different library location. Same for the APPID of the game, i is different for DOOM it is 379720
So you rename this folder for backup, or delete it if you don’t care losing savegame if Steam doesn’t save to the cloud for this game (I don’t remember).

Ahhhhhh ! Ok I found your Tools/category. It wasn’t tic for display. Pretty well hidden by the way. I never seen or use that option in my life. Yes “library soldier” is in the list.

I have differents games installed on various partitions (Ntfs). So the Doom game is installed in a folder Steam in another partition “/run/media/Adata_Data/Steam/steamapps/common/Doom”. The “compathdata” is under the “steamapps” folder in that drive and contain the Doom Id “379720”. There is “pfx” folder. I guess that’s the one I have to delete (and save).

Having it on an NTFS drive is important information. I’ll bet that’s the problem right there.

2 Likes