Dolphin search not working as I expect

My opinion is that Baloo is garbage and very limited, and with specific use case. You can NOT replace it with something else, you can only add another search tool on the side, but the Dolphin integrated search is made to only use Dolphin and that is my biggest issue with Dolphin.

Users obviously expect to find the files they are looking for that they know exist in their home folder, but when they don’t understand why it doesn’t find anything, even after trying various settings, they need to search a lot the internet to eventually find and read forum threads explaining the very limited use case of Baloo and why they need to use another search tool.

In the multiple years I used KDE it always has been like that and it seems they do not intend to change that. So get used to it, disable Baloo, add a button to launch Kfind from Dolphin and forget about Baloo.

:poop:

Exactly - but baloo does throw up useful stuff when searching home folders - documents etc - in the menu or krunner - it’s not the right tool for dolphin IMO.

I never bothered - but is there a way to make kfind the primary? I just put the kfind icon in the toolbar TBH so I never do ctrl_F search in dolphin - I remember Ctrl+Shift+F.

Sorry to revive this topic, but i just switched from gnome to Plasma and this thing is driving me crazy. Why the Ctrl + F doesn’t work ? Is is a manjaro thing or stock plasma problem ?

A very simple usecase, here is a list of files.

I wanna see every file that has “3com” on it’s file name, so i type ctrl+F and type 3com. Here what appears.

It works on my side so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t on yours. The default search has some limitation, like not being able to find hidden files/folders, but other than that it seems to work for basic searches.

//EDIT: but what I did on my side, I disabled Baloo and indexing. Maybe you have a corrupted/bad index and it only uses the index to search, and maybe in my case it do a direct search on demand.
In start menu, search for “Search” and click on “Configure Search”, disable it all for a test.

//EDIT2: now that I look into my screenshot, apparently they have the option to index hidden files and folders now. Nice, basic feature is now added…

Hmmm I’m not so sure you did exactly the same kind of search…

I experimented. I have one folder with ‘Timetable’ versions… and searching with ‘ime’ doesn’t find those… but it should, right?

We have files, some with ‘ime’ in the name.

Dolphin-aftershot
Searching ‘ime’ only captures the screenshot I took and named ‘ime’.
It rejects ‘Time…’

But the manual implies that we should do this - without any characters (like *ime or ?ime).

Indeed, searching *ime is identical to searching ‘ime’ and doesn’t find ‘Time’.

Can you try disabling Baloo and restart Dolphin, and search? I can find files by searching partial word from within a filename, example I can file all files containing XXX in their filename when their filename is [random_characters]XXX[random_characters]. As I suggested maybe disabling baloo makes it so it works differently (do a real search instead of using the index, which may be wrong/corrupted/incomplete).

balooctl disable