Dolphin cannot write to second internal drive

I installed Manjaro on my NVMe SSD today, alongside my main OS (Windows 10) which is on another partition on the same drive. Everything seems to be working fine, but I’m new so I am confused about something:
Windows can normally read and write to my internal HDD, which is my second storage device.
Manjaro, on the other hand, lists the HDD as “Basic data partition” on Dolphin, can read the files there, but cannot write to it. I clicked “Properties” from the right-click menu, opened the permission tab, and found the permissions are already set to “Can view and modify content” for “Owner”, “Group” and “Others”.
What am I doing wrong? How do I make Dolphin be able to create, edit and delete files there?

It’s a question how you mount your second storage device. Follow this guide:

You can take ownership e.g. by

sudo chown $USER:$USER /path/to/mount/point

where /path/to/mount/point obviously needs to be replaced by the real path.

If the filesystem is NTFS, read this:

1 Like

What filesystem is there?

A’ight. I’m studying the guide now. Thanks. Will update you once I successfully pull it off.

It’s NTFS.

Start with the most common problem and solution. It’s usually not due permissions nor ntfs-3g missing from the system (as it’s invoked by default when mounting an NTFS partition.)

Whenever you’re dealing with NTFS read/write access from a Linux system, it’s a good idea to first rule out the most common issue: an NTFS file-system marked as “dirty”.

Correcting this resolves the “read-only” issue for NTFS file-systems accessed from Linux for most users.

Here’s a post for reference, and you can read the entire thread if you’d like:

Either use ntfsfix and/or repair the file-system from within Windows 10 itself. The latter is a more thourough approach. Other similar issues arise if you instruct Windows to store a hiberation file and/or swap file on the partition in question.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve run a full chkdsk /r on Windows. It took 8 hours to fully scan and verify every sector of the 4TB HDD. There are no problems with the drive according to Windows.

However, running ntfsfix does show that “Windows is hibernated”. I guess that’s the problem

Do you actually use Hibernation? (With fast bootup times these days, it’s not as useful as it once was a long time ago.)

If you don’t use it, fully disable it from Windows and make sure “hybrid sleep” is disabled as well. Verify that no such hiberfil.sys nor pagefile.sys is being written to the second drive. While still in Windows 10, go to the advanced options, and completely disable the Page File (aka “swap”) for the second drive.

No hibernation nor pagefile should be used on the second drive, which appears you’re using it as a pure data storage partition anyways.

EDIT: You might have to run a quick chkdsk and/or ntfsfix on the second drive after you do the above steps. By quick, I mean you can skip the /r flag (sector-scan). It’s not neccessary. Only /f is needed.

For example, a simple:

chkdsk /f d:

I just got rid of the hibernation data using sudo ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile and the disk has finally mounted properly. It was actually a leftover from an older windows installation.

Thank you. Everyone above taught me very important things for a Linux beginner. And you helped me identify the exact problem.

1 Like

Although the real problem was something else, this tutorial taught me how to mount a drive the way I like. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.