Dolphin as Root User

No, it’s useless. I use code - and that works fine too. Open, edit, and use password to grant rights to save that file.

I used root browsers for moving pictures around sometimes - for that I have pcmanfm (su) but it’s very rarely useful TBH. More a kind of reaction to ‘losing’ something I could do easily in the past with Nemo in Mint.

10 aur/pcmanfm-gtk3-root 1.2.5-1 (+0 0.00) (Orphaned) (Installed)
PCManFM GTK3 with admin rights with polkit

Orphaned now.

The version is out of date, but the patch is not. Read about pkgbuild, so you can adjust and install it.

Greetings.

1 Like

If you’re OK with using a twin-pane file manager there is Krusader which is a KDE application. It has an option for launching as root. It does take a bit of setting up initially but once you get it how you like it, it’s awesome! It’s one of the first things I install on any system, and I keep a backup of it’s config to save time.

For non-KDE users Krusader doesn’t pull in tons of KDE dependencies like many other applications do as it’s not part of the big KDE applications group. The same goes for Kate the text editor. I’m running both within an XFCE environment without any issues, which makes me very happy indeed! :heart_eyes: :grin: :wink:

1 Like

yeah just realised I’ll check to see if it’s reproducible in the newer version

Do you know where i can find the PKGBUILD for dolphin

At AUR, I cannot place the link here.

Greetings.

it doesn’t let me download a snapshot

nvm found it

Hi,

There is the kde-servicemenus-rootactions package which provides right click menu for doing root things when needed. I find it useful.

For kate things I used to type in terminal like SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/pacman.conf.

does this work in plasma 5.19

Yes, I am using it there.

I repeat: NO !!! we can edit system files without sudo or other, only kate /etc/pacman.conf (or simple edit in dolphin) and when we want save the system file, kate ask password (exists since 2 years)
There is no good reason to complicate things to edit a “protected” file with kate. kate have a polkit action “save”

3 Likes

No.
This is not supported.
It is a bad idea.
Though achievable with some basic work.
You can find the details elsewhere.

As outlined in other posts … this is not necessary at all. Kate is already polkit compliant and will already prompt you for credentials if you attempt to save a file owned by root.

To make this abundantly clear: use regular dolphin.
Navigate to your file.
Open it. Edit it. Save.
-pop- it asks for a password.
No special command or terminal needed. Just edit and save. I dont know what more you want.

2 Likes