Does manjaro-linux use ac power?

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:

I Want to install linux manjaro - gnome
But
I have a question :
Does manjaro-linux use ac power when laptop is connected to power adapter ?

I mean that
now I have the option in the Windows with ASUS Battery health charging , to charge the battery or use AC power
For Example : when battery is above 50% - then use ac power instead of charging

I installed ubuntu before , but this operating system did not support that feature

My Laptop : .

Asus R542UN
Intel(R) Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Nvidia MX150 4GB GDDR5
12GB RAM
250GB SSD WesternDigital
1TB HDD

This question doesn’t seem to make sense.

Laptops have batteries and ‘power adapters’ which convert mains power to DC power which can be used by the laptop.

The operating system does not control this, and laptops/computers, like phones and tablets, cannot use AC power directly which is why electonics generally have some form of power supply.

In operating systems, you will usually have power profiles to determine whether they run at full power when using battery power, however, and I’m curious if this is what you mean?

Manjaro won’t differ from Ubuntu or any other OS in this respect - there are power settings to enable features - but the power will always come via a power-adapter through the laptop.

If you plug an electronic device (even a microwave) into the AC power, they will have an internal power supply if they don’t use some kind of external ‘power adapter’.

1 Like

Hi ben
Thanks for your attention

I mean that
now I have the option in the Windows 11 with Asus battery health app , to charge the battery or use AC Power directly

I’m guessing its an asus/windows package, you can use the tlp package to turn battery charging on and off or set what percentage of battery you want charging to start/stop

1 Like

Hi SawDoctor
thanks for your attention

can you give me a link ?
for installing and how to use tlp package for asus ?

and one more question :slight_smile:

Does Manjaro Support my Hardware config ?

Asus R542UN
Intel(R) Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Nvidia MX150 4GB GDDR5
12GB RAM
250GB SSD WesternDigital
1TB HDD

Why wouldn’t it? You could try with a LiveUSB and check if everything is running as you expect.

The Archwiki: TLP - ArchWiki will give you explanations about TLP at the setup.

3 Likes

Thank you my freind :heart_eyes:

Windows 11 still requires DC power. No computer uses AC power directly.

Lol no - that’s not the issue. I found one solution suggesting TLC for a Thinkpad because the guy wanted to ensure he depeleted his external power (slice battery) before using the internal one.

TLC also would allow you to define rules for the charging of your laptop battery, and also power management when on ‘AC’ power (ignoring the fact that the ‘AC’ power brick is external and only DC is supplied to laptop, it’s still a ‘direct’ or ‘mains’ power supply usually defined for high drain-high performance profiles).

I actually believed that (as with my wife’s laptop) it is automatically detected without being set - plug in the power, you get high performance, bright screen, max processor power. Unplug and it has limited power to preserve battery power if you set it that way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.