Do we need to unmount a cell phone before unplugging it from USB?

I copied these entries I found in KSystemlog after unplugging my cellphone from USB…

2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	kernel	usb 8-2: USB disconnect, device number 2
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	kiod5	kf5.kiod.kmtpd: SOLID: Device with udi= "/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:31:00.3/usb8/8-2"  removed.
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	kiod5	kf5.kiod.kmtpd: release device: "LG G8X Cell"
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	org.kde.kiod5	ERROR: Could not close session!
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	org.kde.kiod5	inep: usb_get_endpoint_status(): No such device
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	org.kde.kiod5	outep: usb_get_endpoint_status(): No such device
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	plasmashell	file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui/DeviceItem.qml:199: TypeError: Cannot read property 'Removable' of undefined
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	plasmashell	file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui/DeviceItem.qml:207: TypeError: Cannot read property 'Removable' of undefined
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	plasmashell	file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui/DeviceItem.qml:47: TypeError: Cannot read property 'File Path' of undefined
2021-07-18 8:12 P.M.	plasmashell	file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui/DeviceItem.qml:260: TypeError: Cannot read property 'Removable' of undefined

Perhaps I have a lazy habit from windows that I need to change under Linux? Opening Dolphin after reconnecting the phone shows the Internal and SD Storage paths under the phone… but there is no option to right-click and unmount that I can see… so, what should I have done to properly disconnect the cell?

Oh, and while the Disks and Devices plasmoid prompted me with what to do when I first connected the phone (I chose mount)… there is no option there afterwards to disconnect/unmount the cell either.

When you are using MTP for file transfer then you can find the commands to unmount the cell phone folders here:

https://www.linuxsecrets.com/archlinux-wiki/wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP.html

Why not link directly to the Arch Wiki?

To answer the actual question as to the need to unmount: no, you do not need to unmount.
For an explanation, why this is ok for mtp access, see:
https://superuser.com/questions/1131590/can-you-just-pull-the-plug-on-mtp-devices

1 Like

Thank You Wollie and freggle.doe for your replies!

I think freggle.doe’s information directly answers my question… and suggests that I can just simply ignore these KSystemlog the events… considering them normal/expected behavior.

And Wollie’s link has some great details/instructions on making the phone mountable/unmountable if I ever find that is necessary… which doesn’t sound like it is at the moment.

This of course assumes I am understanding/interpreting everything you’ve both shared correctly :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.