Do I need haveged?

Hello there. I have been eagerly waiting for the release of 20.1 to proceed with a fresh installation of the KDE edition. I would like to know if I have to install haveged. Does it really reduce the boot time? If yes, please tell me how to enable / start it (after sudo pacman -Syu haveged). Thanks in advance.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haveged

Thanks about your immediate response. So, do you suggest that I should enable haveged in my system?

Have you read the article? I gave you that link because it answers your questions.

Sorry, I’m not a technical guy, but I’ll give it a try. Thanks for your time.

I don’t think you need Haveged. Otherwise you would know. What about your boot times?

Does your system boot slowly? Maybe there’s an other explanation :grinning:

1 Like

From the article:

List available entropy

If you are not sure, whether you need haveged, run:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

This command shows you how much entropy your server has collected. If it is rather low (<1000), you should probably install haveged. Otherwise cryptographic applications will block until there is enough entropy available, which eg. could result in slow wlan speed, if your server is a Software access point.

4 Likes

I haven’t installed the os yet, I’m waiting for the release of 20.1 iso. I just read an article on the internet about slow boot times and how haveged helps reducing them. So, I’ll play it by ear …

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Ok, than you will have to wait and see :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.