Do I have to manually upgrade kernel every time?

Some time back I downgraded my kernel because my Fn Lock Indicator feature got lost. Now everytime an updates happens and the previous kernel reaches the EOL I have to manually use the mhwd feature in settings or use commandline to upgrade to the latest.

(361/460) upgrading linux60                                                                                                                    [---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
>>> NOTE, 6.0.19 is the last maintenance release of the 60 kernel series.
    This kernel is now marked 'End Of Life' (EOL).

It is recommend to switch to the newer linux61 series:
    'sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux61'

How can I make this automatic during an update so that when an update comes it upgrades the kernel automatically and I don’t have to worry about anything.

You could but you absolutely shouldn’t.

1 Like

Why ?
It used to automatically upgrade before and I guess that is the default upgrade setting then why now ?

There was a time then there was a meta-package with the latest kernel and one for the LTS.
It was dropped because it introduced too many possibilities for errors. One of which you actually witnessed.

Rolling realease distros are not meant for unattended upgrades.

2 Likes

can I ask one off topic question ?
I received an update and I am from stable branch but here there isn’t any announcement of stable update instead of an unstable update. Should I be concerned ?

# pacman-mirrors -G                                                                                                                                                                                                    
stable

Which updates? Sometimes, especially browsers, are fast-tracked for security reasons without the need of an announcement.

I had around 460 packages updates with linux 6.1.7 or something and I really am stuck with this kernel
I know it is the latest but my brightness isn’t working at all.
I tried

$ sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux515-5.15.89-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst   

and it did re-installing stuff but didn’t really downgrade.
Can you tell me how ?

You should create a new thread for this.

Generally, first update your mirrors and sync:

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip --method
pamac update --force-refresh --enable-downgrade
1 Like

Between kernel series, (linux515, linux61 etc) yes. You need to manually install new ones, as they are different packages.

Within a kernel series (5.15.88 → 5.15.89), no. That happens when you update the packages, as it’s just a package getting updated.

1 Like

Is that the reason I am not able to downgrade to linux515 when I tried downgrading ?
I wanted to downgrade my kernel to linux 515 but it doesn’t by some reason… with this

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux515-5.15.89-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst   

That will work, if you have that package in your pacman cache. If you don’t, it will tell you it can’t find that file.

You can install kernel 5.15 with sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515.

I have the package in my pacman cache but the kernel doesn’t get switched to linux515. It remains linux61. Can you help me on how to figure out the downgrade ?

Reboot and select 5.15 in grub.

2 Likes

Wait until the annoncement has been made.

1 Like

Grub doesn’t appear in my boot process. Can you tell me which key shows that ?
I thought it was e but turns or it isn’t.
I hope I am not very irritating :slight_smile:
Hope you have a great day

There is now. :wink:

1 Like

It should be the esc or the shift key you press while booting.

1 Like