Dkms install --no-depmod zfs/2.1.12 -k 5.15.85-1-MANJARO - kernel does not include the required loadable module support

Hello, pamac upgrade shown warnings

Install DKMS modules                                                                                                                                                                   [13/42]
==> dkms install --no-depmod zfs/2.1.12 -k 5.15.85-1-MANJARO
configure: error: 
		*** This kernel does not include the required loadable module
		*** support!
		*** To build OpenZFS as a loadable Linux kernel module
		*** enable loadable module support by setting
		*** `CONFIG_MODULES=y` in the kernel configuration and run
		*** `make modules_prepare` in the Linux source tree.
		*** If you don't intend to enable loadable kernel module
		*** support, please compile OpenZFS as a Linux kernel built-in.
		*** Prepare the Linux source tree by running `make prepare`,
		*** use the OpenZFS `--enable-linux-builtin` configure option,
		*** copy the OpenZFS sources into the Linux source tree using
		*** `./copy-builtin <linux source directory>`,
		*** set `CONFIG_ZFS=y` in the kernel configuration and compile
		*** kernel as usual.

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.15.85-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/2.1.12/build/make.log for more information.
==> WARNING: `dkms install --no-depmod zfs/2.1.12 -k 5.15.85-1-MANJARO' exited 10
==> dkms install --no-depmod zfs/2.1.12 -k 5.10.187-1-MANJARO
==> dkms install --no-depmod zfs/2.1.12 -k 5.15.122-1-MANJARO
==> dkms install --no-depmod zfs/2.1.12 -k 5.13.19-2-MANJARO
configure: error: 
		*** This kernel does not include the required loadable module
		*** support!

Here i paste relevant output.

It looks like if it failed to have supported ZFS DKMS for some of the kernels.
I am noob who just want latest stable kernel if possible or older but with ZFS support (ZFS is on my external drive which i rarely use)

When such errors appear, which command do you suggest to quickly discover which kernels are affected by this and decide if it can be uninstalled to preserve latest stable and another older kernel for kind of “backup”?

Or do you suggest any command that would fix above thing? Or to see which kernels will work with ZFS among those i already have? I am not going to build anything manually as it is beyond my skill level. Thank you

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Two different 5.15 Kernel versions installed? You should check this.

I have check “pamac search linux* -i” and Grub customizer app and do not see 5.15.85* kernel. After your help, i have found it is the current kernel i am running and apparently was removed.

Also @xabbu suggested to check which files/folder can be found in /usr/src and/or /usr/lib/modules
$ find /usr/lib/modules/ -name zfs.*|sort -h

/usr/lib/modules/5.10.187-1-MANJARO/updates/dkms/zfs.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/5.15.122-1-MANJARO/updates/dkms/zfs.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/5.4.250-1-MANJARO/updates/dkms/zfs.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.10-MANJARO/zfs.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.13-MANJARO/zfs.ko.gz
/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.15-MANJARO/zfs.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.4-MANJARO/zfs.ko.xz

$ ls /var/lib/dkms/zfs/* -ls

0 ... /var/lib/dkms/zfs/kernel-5.10.187-1-MANJARO-x86_64 -> 2.1.12/5.10.187-1-MANJARO/x86_64
0 ... /var/lib/dkms/zfs/kernel-5.15.122-1-MANJARO-x86_64 -> 2.1.12/5.15.122-1-MANJARO/x86_64
0 ... /var/lib/dkms/zfs/kernel-5.4.250-1-MANJARO-x86_64 -> 2.1.12/5.4.250-1-MANJARO/x86_64

/var/lib/dkms/zfs/2.1.12:
total 12
... 5.10.187-1-MANJARO
4 ... 5.15.122-1-MANJARO
4 ... 5.4.250-1-MANJARO
0 ... source -> /usr/src/zfs-2.1.12

Listing currently available kernels: grep -i menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
It shows i have numerous ones that match ZFS DKMS files found by above commands.

This all is too complicated for a noob when faced with OP mentioned errors. I do not know what can be done better not to face these errors. What about using some pamac/pacman command to look for zfs dkms including printing for which kernel it is and then list kernels that does not match and remove these - again too complicated.

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

With all due respect,

If you find it too complicated to rescue your system, then you shouldn’t have let it get this far behind on updates. Manjaro is, and always has been a rolling release that needs constant updating. You could have avoided this mess if you only kept up to date, but by your own admission you failed to do so.

If you’re only able to update every once-in-a-while, I suggest you rather look at a point-release distribution, like Ubuntu or even Debian.

:man_shrugging:

I’m not sure why or how you could possibly have 2 different 5.15 kernel versions installed, this certainly will need sorting out. Also 5.13 is dead and should be removed.

However, I too use dkms for my nvidia driver and when getting similar error messages I have been able to rescue my system by booting into tty and running:
sudo dkms autoinstall

This may or may not work in your case but I recon it’s worth a try, in the worst case it will fail and you’ll have to sort out your kernels first (remove 5.15 and 5.13, reboot 5.10, run the command, if successful reinstall 5.15).

1 Like

Yes, that is possible. I use ZFS on my dual external drives via SATA connection (not USB connection) for NAS and my second weekly backup.

The solution:
Idea: You can use two separate Kernels running in parallel on the same computer. How? :point_down:
You need to setup a new KVM/QEMU to connect to ZFS on any drive on the same computer.
I would suggest, try to install TrueNAS SCALE on QEMU/KVM. TrueNAS SCALE OS with Web GUI might be good for ZFS beginners. But I use Arch ZFS LTS that is not easy for beginner.

When it is so - I suggest you cleanup your system

• remove the zfs related packages
  • remove obsolete kernel(s)
  • update your system using pacman -Syu

When your system has been cleaned up - you can readd zfs support.