Display Port to HDMI cable shows 640x480 resolution only

Problem

I only get 640x480@60hz resolution using a Display Port to HDMI cable, on every port, monitor and tv, I can’t seem to force another resolution on both wayland and x11

Windows works as expected with every monitor and tv, and using a DP to DVI cable works as expected on all monitors on linux.

Solutions?

• Is this a known issue that is fixable?
  • Is this specific cable the problem? Should I get another DP to HDMI cable?
  • Is this a “DP to HDMI” cable problem? should I get another DP to DVI cable?

Specs

this is the cable

I have both Wayland and x11, and KDE plasma
My GPU has 3 DP inputs and 1 HDMI input
I have 3 1080p monitors with vga/dvi/hdmi inputs and one 4k tv with hdmi only

Kernel: 6.6.8-2-MANJARO 
DE: Plasma 5.27.10 
WM: KWin 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (32) @ 4.500GHz 
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX 

Context

All my monitors use a DP to DVI cable, and my TV uses the regular HDMI cable, I borke one of the DP to DVI cables so I decided to replace it with a DP to HDMI cable

to my suprise, it didn’t detect any resolution no mather what port I connected it to, or what monitor or tv I used, it always detects the monitor as 640x480 only. On windows I have no problems.

Since my TV is 4k, only wayland handles scaling correctly, so it would be very anoying if I have to use x11 to force another resolution.

Maybe someone can suggest another dp to hdmi cable that does work, I would like to avoid having to buy a DP to DVI cable that may be obsolete if I replace a monitor.

Thank you

/home/<user>/.local/share/kscreen/

could be an idea to look into the files created in that folder?

Not sure what to do with those files.

I did find a bunch of files with hex numbers, and they do contain a JSON with the monitor information I see on the display settings. they have the 640x480 setting on the display.

If I modify them they do nothing.

From what you’ve written, it stands to reason that another DisplayPort to DVI cable will solve the issue. Other DP to HDMI cable brands could be suggested ad nauseam, but unless someone happens to have a duplicate of your particular rig and can verify that it works with that, any other ‘it works for me’ responses are likely pointless.

That’s all I can offer, with respect cables. Cheers.

I once deleted them, one will be recreated in an instant,
so by deleting them, you see which one is the active one,
you can edit this, the effect shows after reboot.

Tried it, it didn’t work

find the error
How many hertz have you set on the Displayport?

60 hz, it doesn’t show any other option
using ycom1’s suggestion I set it to 1920x1080@60 hz, but nothing happened.