Discover-snap package not working

So I found out there are two “discover” packages: discover and discover-snap. When I try install the discover-snap, it conflicts with the first one and removes, but installs successfully.

However, I was expecting to now see snap packages in discover which I don’t. Searching for snap packages that exist in snap-store doesn’t show up in discover.
And if I go to discover settings page, it complains PackageKit and Flathub backends now are missing. If I click to fix that, it seems to remove the discover-snap I just installed.

Is there any workaround to this issue?

I will mention that discover-snap is a manjaro package and does not exist in the Arch repos.
Beyond that I dont really know.

Hi @markjunz and welcome to the Manjaro forum.

You might be focusing too much on Discover, when pamac-manager (Add/Remove Software) already supports both snap and flatpak packages.

See Enabling flatpak or snap plugins using Pamac.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Or do the sane thing and avoid SNAP like the plague.

Still … I dont know why this secondary discover package exists and/or why it does not work.

I tend to agreee.

Here’s an article from 2020 that seems to give more or less balanced opinions on snap:

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Tip: snapd installs a script in /etc/profile.d/snapd.sh to export the paths of binaries installed with the snapd package and desktop entries. Reboot once to make this change take effect.

To launch the snapd daemon when snap tries to use it, enable/start snapd.socket .

Snap - ArchWiki

There’s no difference between discover and discover-snap in that regard. Check the optional dependencies.

By the way…

Warning: PackageKit opens up system permissions by default, and is otherwise not recommended for general usage. See FS#50459 and FS#57943.

pacman/Tips and tricks - ArchWiki