Discord - server panel lagging

Hi, after installing the discord on linux manjaro, server bar began to lag very much. How can I fix it? I installed it through “add / remove programs”, but when installing through other ways (pacman, discord site), the problem remains.

Hi, I know this post is 6 days old but I’d also like to add to it.

Since the latest update, Discord seems to have had a major performance impact and the source appears to be the Server sidebar. If you mouse up and down it vertically it immediately increases CPU resource usage somewhere between 20% and 30% and decreases FPS from 55 to 5. Running a performance profile on the client, between a range of 0 - 25 seconds, painting is taking up 18,000 milisecond of activity during this period, the problem appears to be how the client is painting the sidebar after every mouse event that interacts with listed servers. I don’t believe there is any available solution to this it might be something Discord has to fix.

I had a friend recommend I install this package which makes discord use your globally installed Electron, but I’m still having the same problem, perhaps you’d have better luck with it.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/discord_arch_electron

hello,
i have the same problem. i tested the aur package and the snap version always the same problem.
i also try lightcord, it‘s change nothing. the discord sound stutter too and the streaming is really laggy.

problem present on gnome and KDE.

no problem in the web version with firefox.

No problem with the web version on Firefox for me as well. I attempted to use the Public Test Build for version 0.0.0.24 but the problem persists.

Try running discord with the following command, worked for me:
discord --ignore-gpu-blocklist --disable-features=UseOzonePlatform --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder --use-gl=desktop --enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-zero-copy

If this works, set this as the exec command in the discord.desktop file

5 Likes

YEY ! it‘s work perfectly, tanks !

I don’t know if this issue is hardware dependent or not but the solution you provided really helped me run discord lag-free on an old laptop. At first it struggled with playing animations but now it feels exactly like how it ran on Windows. Thanks a lot!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this solution worked for me although I can’t figure out how to set it as an exec command. Do you put that after the command path in the file? If so, every time I try to apply the command I get the error “Could not save properties due to insufficient write access to:’/home/user/.local/share/applicatios/discord.desktop’.”

If you are on KDE Plasma, you can simply create a Desktop Shortcut by clicking on “Add to Workspace” (idk if this is the correct wording in english).

Then you can right click on the Shortcut file on your Desktop → “Open with Kate”.

The contents should look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Discord
StartupWMClass=discord
Comment=All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone.
GenericName=Internet Messenger
Exec=/usr/bin/discord --ignore-gpu-blocklist --disable-features=UseOzonePlatform --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder --use-gl=desktop --enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-zero-copy
Icon=discord
Type=Application
Categories=Network;InstantMessaging;
Path=/usr/bin
Path=/usr/bin

Also thank you very much @librecrush! I was going insane with this issue \(^~^)/

1 Like

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

I just noticed that even tho these command fixes the issues with the Server Panel, it results in the “Channel” Panel being laggy to scroll.

I tested every command seperately and found that it’s enough to use the following command in my case:

Exec=/usr/bin/discord --enable-gpu-rasterization
1 Like