Disable systemd-xdg-autostart-generator

Logged into a tty as root and systemd-xdg-autostart-generator runs. I have been trying to figure out why, since there is no desktop environment. It runs at other times too, but I haven’t pinned down what triggers it.

I don’t want /usr/lib/systemd/user-generators/systemd-xdg-autostart-generator to run at all for any user, but it doesn’t make sense for root with no desktop environment.

The journal contains messages like:

===>  journalctl -b0 --identifier=systemd-xdg-autostart-generator

systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[24995]: Configuration file /root/.config/autostart/xfce4-clipman-plugin-autostart.desktop

You should probably look into why it is there - then mask it

systemctl mask systemd-xdg-autostart-generator

It is more a matter of what desktop files is located in /etc/xdg/autostart and /etc/skel/.config/autostart where the latter is copied to a new user’s ~/.config/autostart

Some applications - like a clipboard manager - is designed to be available at all times - and besides removing the applications - one should look at the config of such application.

A couple of things related to autostart.

During the live install, there are two files in /root/.config/autostart:

• disable-dpms.desktop
  • live-session.desktop

They exist for the live install desktop. The executables for these desktop files are not installed, but the desktop files are left behind. They probably should be cleaned up as part of the install. FYI :slight_smile:

systemd-xdg-autostart-generator is not a service and can’t be masked. It is an executable file in /usr/lib/systemd/user-generators. As far as I can tell the whole systemd-xdg-autostart-generator thing is a work-in-progress (doc doesn’t match code) and currently there is no way to control it, except to remove the executable attribute. :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.