DIsable power button at lock screen

My new laptop has its power led on the side, so it’s not visible when sitting in front of it.
When I sit down in front of it, after being away for some time, I see no lights on the laptop and I’m thinking it has hibernated. Hence I press the power button. There has been several occasions now where it wasn’t hibernated, it had just turned off the display. The result is that when I think I’m telling the pc to wake up, I’m actually telling it to shutdown!
Is there any way to change the reaction to a press to the power button while the pc is showing the lockscreen? Any change would be to better: Ignore that the button was pressed, suspend to ram, suspend to disk, show a dialog asking if I’m sure I want to shutdown… Anything is better than just performing the shutdown!

In power manager I can change the behavior of the power button. But this seems to not apply while the lockscreen is shown.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, … More specifically: redefining the power button depends on your DE. :man_shrugging:

Looking back in my browser history, shows that I posted in the XFCE category. As the post apparently was moved away from xfce, it’s not so obvious that it was about xfce any more…

Honestly I don’t see how the information from inxi is relevant for this issue. And I don’t see the point of flooding a forum posting with irrelevant information.

But I agree I should have pointed out that it is a manjaro xfce installation with all automatic updates installed.

System:
  Kernel: 5.8.11-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 tk: Gtk 3.24.20 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 
  dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 

Our apologies that information you posted was lost. I’ve added the #xfce tag to your question now. I’m on KDE so can’t help you any further.

P.S. If you add your DE to your profile, you’ll never have to remember to tag / post in the right category… :+1:

The solution seems to be: Do the powersettings as prefered in the gui while logged in. Then copy the config to etc as root
cp /home/USERNAME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.