Difference between Zoom and Zoom-system-qt

Hello everyone,
I am using Manjaro Kde and use zoom for daily meeting today i came across an aur package labelled “Zoom-system-qt” while currently using the aur package “Zoom” i am having some difficulties like random slow downs and other problems.So my question is what is “Zoom-system-qt” difference between these two AUR packages and which one sould i use?

From what I see in the PKGBUILD the system-qt version removes some files provided with zoom, probably to force the use of the system files instead of the ones provided inside the package.

Here is what is different in the system-qt package, this is not in the other package.

cd "${pkgdir}/opt/zoom"
    # Fix spurious RPATH in binaries
    patchelf --shrink-rpath zoom
    patchelf --shrink-rpath zopen

rm -f qtdiag

# Remove Qt libraries
    rm -f libQt5*.so{,.*}
    rm -f libicu*.so{,.*}

rm -rf {egldevice,xcbgl}integrations
    rm -rf audio
    rm -rf generic
    rm -rf iconengines
    rm -rf imageformats
    rm -rf platforms
    rm -rf platforminputcontexts
    rm -rf platformthemes
    rm -rf Qt{,GraphicalEffects,Qml,Quick,Quick.2}
    rm -f libmpg123.so
    rm -f libfaac1.so
    rm -f libturbojpeg.so{,.*}
    rm -f libquazip.so{,.*}

rm qt.conf

# Remove unnecessary executable flag
    chmod -x *.pcm
    chmod -x *.pem
    chmod -x sip/*.{wav,WAV}

I would use the system-qt package on KDE as it is probably made for that purpose. Not sure but that is what I would do, at least try. You can still switch to the normal AUR package if it doesn’t work but I guess it will work, maybe better than the normal package.

Thanks a lot for help :slightly_smiling_face:
so should i use it or not if i’m having problems with the other AUR package?

Yes try it doesn’t cost anything, only the time it takes to install and test :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With that kind of difference then that tells me … zoom-system-qt is better … especially on a QT desktop (like KDE) … I just did a quick install … and it built quicker too.

I dont actually use it … so just launching the thing is as much difference as I could tell… and from that metric it looks the same.

1 Like

Going to try that … thanks again

I am going to install that and will share my experience soon here
Thanks a lot for help sir

why don’t you install using snapd from pamac and then installing zoom using snap. I was able to get mine working using this:

Blockquote
Enable snapd
Snapd can be installed from Manjaro’s Add/Remove Software application (Pamac), found in the launch menu. From the application, search for snapd, select the result, and click Apply.
Alternatively, snapd can be installed from the command line:
sudo pacman -S snapd

Blockquote
Once installed, the systemd unit that manages the main snap communication socket needs to be enabled:
sudo systemctl enable --now snapd.socket

Blockquote
To enable classic snap support, enter the following to create a symbolic link between /var/lib/snapd/snap and /snap:
sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap
Either log out and back in again, or restart your system, to ensure snap’s paths are updated correctly.

Blockquote
Install zoom-client
To install zoom-client, simply use the following command:
sudo snap install zoom-client

1 Like

Not everyone likes snaps.
And if there isnt a good reason … then why bring in a whole framework for one application?
We still dont know why zoom doesnt quite work for OP.
Snap is an option … but not necessarily the first or best.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer sir … i really appreciate that but i try to avoid snaps so i’ll be using the zoom-system-qt version for now

1 Like

Exactly i don’t like snaps that much and don’t want to install a whole framework for just one application … thanks for the answer

no worries as long has you were able to get it to work. Did it work? :wink:

Just to chime in here. You are able to use zoom from a web browser if that is a workable solution. It lacks the features of the client but works fine for light usage. After you deny zoom dialogues it will offer the option.

The forum isn’t letting me embed media or links sorry.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for suggestion … currently i’m using the " Zoom-system-qt " version and it is working at least better than " ZOOM " AUR package … surely next and last step would be using it from browser :innocent: