Desktop resolution changes but apps act as though different resolution

While in console only mode via runlevel 3, I saw an xorg.conf in this directory:

It is now not in there. In that xorg.conf was a line I had previously used to fix and error that was being thrown by one of my displays.

Option “ModeValidation” “DFP-5: NoMaxPClkCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck”

I added that yesterday, not today. That line WAS NOT in the nvidia.conf or that 90-mhwd.conf. I made sure it was removed. It was still in this xorg.conf though located in /etc/X11.

I thought that was weird that it was there, and that there was an xorg.conf file located in that directory at all. I removed the line there and the display loaded up.

So, mhwd-gpu --setxorg is still pointing at /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

Why did there being an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ cause the problem if its not meant to be looking there? Is the system looking to that xorg.conf file at boot still then Im somehow editting the existing display in nvidia.conf, but its only doing that in the live display?

My nvidia settings wants to default to this save location:

After I ran mhwd-gpu --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf trying to fix my issue though, I made sure to start saving the configuration to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf because I believed thats where the system would be looking now.

Has the system NOT be looking at /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf all this time and instead looking at /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? If so, why do I not see an xorg.conf in that directory now?

Im assuming its something to do with the sym-linking, and what file is or is not trying to by the system.

I also ALWAYS get these

error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment.

(nvidia-settings:18143): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 17:12:42.861: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment.

Which were also on the list of things to look into and resolve.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is deprecated, it’s been replaced by /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

I remember, now that you’ve reminded me, nvidia does indeed default to the old location, I think I used to set it to 90-mhwd.conf, which is a symlink to nvidia.conf.

xorg.conf overrides the other files, either way it’s recommended to use xorg.conf.d, in this case 90-mhwd.conf. I’m not sure how using nvidia.conf will affect things, it may not make a difference.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg

As for the disappearing files, I have no idea other than mhwd-gpu seemed to delete one of them.

What does echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR return? Presumably it should be the same as mine.

/run/user/1000

I will look further into the deprecated functions related xorg.conf.

echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
                                                                                                                           ✔ 
/run/user/1000

So it is the same as yours.

Lat thing if you have any input. This is also on my list to research:

When I click save in nvidia-settings:

(nvidia-settings:18143): dconf-WARNING **: 18:08:17.690: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=73b63928220743d896d0b21ca6749674 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

For those that may find this thread, here is a good tutorial in the wiki for some of the things we reviewed in this thread:

After going through the process of getting manjaro to see all of my displays, they frequnetly are missing either task panels, has black backgrounds instead of the desktop wallpaper, etc… Alt + F2 will bring up krunner, a search box. Enter killall plasmashell and click Run Command killall plasmashell. The displays will all go black. You will still be able to see the active windows you have and you will still be able to Alt+Tab through them. Hit Alt + F2 again and enter plasmashell and click Run Command plasmashelland it will restore your desktop. Doing this restores all missing task panels, desktop icons, wall papers, etc…