Desktop Icons disappeared, icons in taskbar not working, slow log in

Hello folks,
writing on my phone, so I’m sorry if formatting is off.

I, stupid as I am, force shutdown(pressing the power button until computer turns off) my computer the other day. Now booting up is relatively normal speed wise but once I log into my user account, it takes longer than normal. Also the loading screen is still showing when an autostart app opens. Feels like it hangs after the loading bar reached 100%

The other problem is that my desktop icons “disappeared”. They are still in the desktop folder but they don’t show up on my desktop
I checked an “Layout: Folder View” is still active.

Also all icons in my taskbar don’t do anything. The loading symbol appears but the app won’t open. The icons of the application launcher don’t work either.

What works though is using Runner to open settings for example. Konsole works too to open things.

I wanted to upload a picture of the errors using journalctl -p3 -b but unfortunately I’m not allowed to:(

Thanks for the help!

PS.: Sorry for forgetting my specs!
Here are my specs using the command that Andreas suggested
[My specs on pastebin](System: Kernel: 6.4.6-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.1.1 - Pastebin.com

You need to give some general info like:
What Desktop do you use ? KDE / Gnome / XFCE …

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

Tip for the future:

Gentle shut down a suddenly hanged PC to minimize a chance of getting a broken filesystem and data loss:

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/sysrq.html

Does the desktop behave the same with a new user?

Good question!
I just created a new user and there the desktop and taskbar etc seem to work just fine.

So maybe some bad config?

Sounds like you may have this issue:

The marked Solution will help if this is your issue.

1 Like

I was pretty much going to suggest what @jcorporon sorta-linked …

Continuing the discussion from KDE Plasma Completely dysfunctional:

Though of course you could backup the Trolltech file and/or the .cache folder instead of just deleting them.

And do note that it will remove your desktop configurations - you will have to set things again.
(or move back the files)

1 Like