Desktop constantly showing for half the screen

So this morning when I booted up my laptop that has Manjaro installed half the screen was constantly the desktop. It’s very strange and I can’t find anyone with the same issue on here. Also some application will not accept mouse clicks. The strangest thing is that when I go into task view the top of the screen is fine and shows more the just the wallpaper. I have no idea what the issue could be so have no idea where to start.

edit: so after more testing it appears that the top third of the screen only shows the desktop wallpaper, the middle third works normally and the bottom third shows apps but doesn’t pick up on any mouse clicks. idk if that helps at all

sorry for the bad photo can’t upload a screenshot shot from computer due to the issue

Hi @jacereid, and welcome!

Just a though. That almost looks as if the compositor is disabled. My PC does something very similar when the compositor gets disabled. In KDE, the compositor can be started/restarted by running:

kwin_x11 --replace  >/dev/null 2>&1

So check that, maybe it doesn’t work, but then at least it’s ruled out.

so that did do something. It disabled the bottom third of my screen aswell in the same fashion, so it seems that is is something to do with the compositor, I don’t know anything about it though. Do you have any idea of a different command that I could run to fix it?

edit: wait nevermind just restarted my laptop and everything is working! thank you so much, would have been completely lost otherwise

1 Like

Short of toggling that setting, no, sadly.

But check in and play with System SettingsHardwareDisplay and Monitor

I’m very happy it worked then! Now at least you know about it.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.