DeltaChat list for Manjaro/KDE users

I really like DeltaChat and very interested in exploring how well, or not, it can handle a dozen or more members in a group chat. It uses regular IMAP/SMTP for the transport layer, so it’s not very efficient compared to “normal” pub/sub chat services, but it is a very comfortable way to view emails, so I am keen to find out at what point it fails from too many cascading emails.

I am mainly interested in Manjaro/KDE and virtualisation, so if anyone else wants to explore using a DeltaChat list primarily based on Manjaro and Plasma topics, then please send me a private message for details.

BTW, the last stable update prevented DeltaChat from starting up, but a workaround solution was to…

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/electron14 /usr/bin/electron

Hi @markc,

I just saw this when I read your post:

and I see DeltaChat is from the AUR:

$ pamac search deltachat
libdeltachat-git                                                                                                                                                                                                                1.70.0.r9.g7ab71bb4-1   AUR
Deltachat-core written in Rust
kdeltachat-git                                                                                                                                                                                                                  r190.3c62d25-1          AUR
KDeltaChat is a Delta Chat client using Kirigami framework
deltachat-desktop-git                                                                                                                                                                                                           v1.28.2.r7.g667b4f33-1  AUR
A privacy oriented chat application built on e-mail
deltachat-desktop                                                                                                                                                                                                               1.28.2-2                AUR
A privacy oriented chat application built on e-mail

So I just want to make sure you rebuilt it?

pamac build deltachat-desktop

Or whichever one you use. AUR packages is best rebuilt after every update IIRC.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for that. I have an alias which does…

alias uu='yay -Syyuu --noconfirm ; yay -Scc --noconfirm ; sudo pacman -Scc --noconfirm'

So it does indeed get re-built every time a new AUR version is released. The DC program expects to use an “electron” binary, but it depends on the electron14 package. The default “electron” package installs electron18. The manual symlink from /usr/bin/electron14 to /usr/bin/electron seems to do the trick.

:: removing electron14 breaks dependency 'electron14' required by deltachat-desktop

I am guessing that not many folks use delta.chat otherwise this would be fixed upstream, or in the AUR package. FWIW I have a mail system in a VM that “talks” directly to a couple of other users mailserver VMs so that our DC messages do not go out via the open internet through port 25. So, aside from autocrypted content, the messages are sent and stored 100% securely and privately.

1 Like