Dell XPS9700 WiFi problem (ath11k)

Last manjaro-kde-21.0-210318-linux510.iso
WiFi work ok on live system after boot from usb-flash (kernel 5.10.23)
After installation no WiFi on installed system:
inxi -Na
Network: Device-1: Qualcomm vendor: Rivet Networks driver: ath11k_pci v: kernel port: 3000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
chip-ID: 17cb:1101 class-ID: 0280
Device-2: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152 bus-ID: 8-2.4:5 chip-ID: 0bda:8153
class-ID: 0000 serial: 111000001
sudo dmesg | grep ath11k
[ 2.422389] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: WARNING: ath11k PCI support is experimental!
[ 2.426438] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xd2100000-0xd21fffff 64bit]
[ 2.426459] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: enabling device (0000 → 0002)
[ 8.092435] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: qmi failed memory request, err = -110
[ 8.092443] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: qmi failed to respond fw mem req:-110

and same kernel version:
Linux rezuq-xps9700 5.10.23-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 11 18:47:18 UTC 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux

any ideas?

The system installed from an ISO is in fact a fully functional system.

So is this happening before or after the first update?

Before update. This is really strange - wifi works on live-system and not works just after installation
Same kernel versions, all the same

When you boot the ISO - mhwd is used to detect the necessary drivers - which is then installed using pacman but from a repo located on the ISO in the mhwd-fs.sfs filesystem.

When the system is ‘installed’ to disk it is in fact the predefined filesystems which is unpacked and I assume the same functionality is used to install the drivers - again from the same file-based ISO repo.

When you have booted a live system - which is working - you can examine the logs in /var/log - especially the pacman.log - which contains info on which drivers got installed during boot.

Logfiles to look for

  • /var/log/manjaro-live.log
  • /var/log/mhwd-live.log
  • /var/log/pacman.log

Tried to install 5.11 kernel - still not works
sudo dmesg | grep ath11k
[ 2.324832] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: WARNING: ath11k PCI support is experimental!
[ 2.325452] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xd2100000-0xd21fffff 64bit]
[ 2.325478] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: enabling device (0000 → 0002)
[ 2.730870] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: firmware crashed: MHI_CB_SYS_ERROR
[ 7.885893] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: qmi failed memory request, err = -110
[ 7.885906] ath11k_pci 0000:05:00.0: qmi failed to respond fw mem req:-110
[ 70.877199] snd_soc_sst_ipc snd_soc_sst_dsp x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_powerclamp snd_hda_ext_core coretemp snd_soc_acpi_intel_match snd_soc_acpi qrtr loop snd_hda_intel ns kvm_intel snd_intel_dspcfg soundwire_intel ath11k_pci soundwire_generic_allocation mhi soundwire_cadence i915 kvm snd_hda_codec ath11k irqbypass crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul snd_hda_core ghash_clmulni_intel aesni_intel uinput hci_uart nvidia_drm(POE) crypto_simd ofpart nvidia_modeset(POE) cryptd snd_hwdep qmi_helpers btqca soundwire_bus glue_helper cmdlinepart i2c_algo_bit rapl btrtl intel_spi_pci mac80211 drm_kms_helper intel_spi vfat intel_cstate btbcm snd_soc_core fat intel_uncore cec btintel spi_nor mei_me snd_compress i2c_i801 ac97_bus pcspkr psmouse cfg80211 i2c_nvidia_gpu snd_pcm_dmaengine i2c_smbus thunderbolt tpm_crb bluetooth mtd drm libarc4 mei nvidia(POE) snd_pcm intel_lpss_pci intel_ish_ipc intel_lpss processor_thermal_device intel_ishtp idma64 processor_thermal_rfim tpm_tis snd_timer

That could be an explanation or at least a hint to why it sometimes work and sometimes not.

Why it works in Ubuntu?

@axinedy I am in the same boat as you. Found your post searching for the error firmware crashed: MHI_CB_SYS_ERROR.

So it used to work fine but since I had a major update about 1 or 2 weeks ago, it now no longer works. Most of the time I am on ethernet so it isn’t too much of a bother. However yesterday I only had Wifi and hence I found it is now broken. I really have no idea where to go from here. if there is anything someone can suggest to test I can do so.

What I did try is to change to the 5.10 kernel but the problem is the same.

This is my system information:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.81.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.11.14-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × Intel® Core™ i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 62,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics