Defaults for gvfs

Hello,

As a solution to thunar starting quite slowly, I changed /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount to have Automount=false. However, regularly, that is reverted during system update, probably because it’s a system file. So I would like to change the option in userspace instead, which I have seen should be by adding the folder in ~/.gvfs/mounts. I’m just unsure if I can do that without modifying default behaviours, as there are a lot of things in /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/, so what will happen if I put only network.mount in userspace? Will it ignore all the others or will it still read the remainder from the system defaults?

Where did you see that? Must be outdated.

man gvfs

It searches $XDG_DATA_DIRS paths and take the first match. /usr/local/share/gvfs/mounts would be a better place.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer

I saw it in the archwiki (File manager functionality - ArchWiki):
" /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/ contains mount rules for GVFS. To use one’s own rules, create ~/.gvfs/mounts."

So if I add network.mount in /usr/local/share/gvfs/mounts, will it keep using the other files from /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/ or should I copy everything ? In the second case, would that cause issues the day the system adds things in /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/?

(gvfs seems pretty essential so I don’t want to break it accidentally)

When you want to override the defaults - place a copy of the config in the relevant folder in your home - then edit that file.

If you don’t - and instead edit in place - you changes will be overwritten with a sync.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers.

I finally got around to playing with this again and wanted to test what worked or not, but it turns out I cannot reproduce the slow Thunar start when automount is activated (even though I consistently had the issue for years, it was just so fast to fix it every 6 months or so that I never got around to try and find a long term fix before)

So I cannot test any answer. Thanks anyways!

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.