Deepin features proposal

only one hardcore annoyance
and its disabling opengl.
so you loose compositing until you reenable compositer.
you could have xrender as compositing backend to avoid this but you loose many features.
such as desktop cube.
and another thing is kwin with nvidia.combo is not good.but again nvidia is to blame here.

1 Like

i’ve been meaning to test out that deepin/compiz combo that you linked previously. anything is better than mutter stutter.

i only briefly tested it but it does look great, works great, and i didnt notice anything wrong with it so :+1:

and another thing is kwin with nvidia.combo is not good.

Any examples? I’m pretty concerned, as nvidia owner )

use nvidia nonfree drivers.
there might be some flickering with nvidia.
you can install kwin then
kwin_x11 --replace
and see for yourself
but its certainly better than mutter

Deepin file manager

out of curiosity i installed @ant 's archdeepin on a spare partition and after some tinkering, got it working. deepin, while still is not really my thing it has made progress. using an alternative compositor like compiz, compton, kwin (i tried all 3) instead of mutter did not produce anything desirable but likely could with a bit of tweaking. suprisingly enough, deepin’s version of mutter actually seems much better than it was when i last tried it. @keybreak i do see that bottom left corner resize lag you reported, but only if i resize the window all the way towards the top right and then try to resize it larger, other than that there is no real lag.
before i did any of that, i tested to see if optimus-switch would work properly, it does.

so then i got bored and decided i would compare it to manjaro deepin since it’s been a while, but instead i decided i would turn arch deepin into manjaro deepin (for no actual good reason other than just because i wanted to play). it took a little bit of time replacing packages, pacman.conf, mirrorlist. but anyway here i am.

inxi -Fxxxz deepin/arch/manjaro/optimus-switch/intel-only mode
System:    Host: archdeepin Kernel: 5.0.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Deepin 15.9.2 
           tk: Qt 5.12.1 info: dde-dock wm: DeepinWM dm: LightDM 1.28.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 7559 v: 1.2.9 serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0H87XC v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.2.9 date: 09/03/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 22.5 Wh condition: 22.5/74.0 Wh (30%) volts: 12.3/11.1 model: SDI Dell type: Li-ion 
           serial: <filter> status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-6300HQ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Skylake-S rev: 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 18436 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:191b 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.4 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 100 Series/C230 Series Family HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:a170 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.0.1-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 
           bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 05:00.0 chip ID: 8086:24fd 
           IF: wlp5s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 471.36 GiB used: 91.30 GiB (19.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: Z400s M.2 2280 256GB size: 238.47 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           rev: 7012 temp: 28 C scheme: GPT 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           rev: 1B6Q scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20.49 GiB used: 7.02 GiB (34.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: 29.8 C sodimm: 38.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 159 Uptime: 8m Memory: 7.66 GiB used: 798.1 MiB (10.2%) Init: systemd v: 241 Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 
           Shell: zsh v: 5.7.1 running in: deepin-terminal inxi: 3.0.32 

again, i had no actual reason for doing this except curiosity.

@dglt
Since i haven’t got time to test it yet, have you seen any flickering with Kwin + nvidia, as @Librewish mentioned?

no, but just installing kwin and running kwin with --replace does not look all that great either because im guessing that it would need alot of fine tuning for it to work properly. some things like deepin terminal open in a isolated window box with the terminal inside and just looks ridiculous the way it is.
with compiz i couldnt get compiz settings to open so i could configure anything.

i was actually surprised that the normal deepin setup with mutter works quite well, and at the same time not too surprised since the last time i tried @ant 's archdeepin it also worked better for me than manjaro’s deepin release. although this time the installer didnt fully finish everything the way it did the first time trying it, maybe i missed something. i had to chroot in after install to create users, set user and root passwords, asign groups, and a few other things i dont remember having to do the first time i installed it maybe 3 months ago. :man_shrugging:

Ok, thx for feedback it’s good to know!
Sure they’ll need to tweak a lot of things for deepin-kwin, but hopefully it will be way better :slight_smile:

That’s actually weird, for me config was working…

Yeah this installer is quite weird sometimes, there’s couple of problems post-install probably caused by it, so @ant is experimenting with Calamares now :slightly_smiling_face:

I like Manjaro Deepin more, for the sake of simplicity in Kernel management and mhwd out of the box, but still permanently admire @ant’s work and help testing Arch Deepin, after all we’re all in the same boat! :space_invader:

I think it’s really good option for those who want really light, vanilla bleeding edge experience :slight_smile:

IIRC, he was using calamares previously, maybe he decided to go with a more architect like installer. the last time i installed, the only issue at was that it came with a font/language pack that caused everything to be in reverse. buttons, windows, pamac even had the categories on the right and listing on the left. anyway was easily fixed by removing the “yi” font/pack. everything else worked great.

edit: found the image

After a recent arch update you have to rebuild compiz, I have updated the blog post:
https://antechdesigns.000webhostapp.com/using-compiz/

No it has always been pacbang installer, when I can figure out how to get calamares onto the arch ISO I will use Calamares :wink:

I agree deepin needs an overall, its a damn mess in the backend, would love to see all apps with the same styling. Maybe kwin will resolve this!?

1 Like

Yeah, I remember that, lolz

I doubt it. But it should make everything faster / less glitchy :slight_smile:

More likely when their style-language will be complete, our chinese friends will finally gather all their weirdly modded GTK theme bugs / inconsistencies and fix once and for all! :slight_smile:

Have spent some time recently with google-translating their internal talks…
There’s far more stuff on the depth, than we see / gather in bug reports on surface)

well at the very least, make a theme that matches the deepin apps, I bet you could edit deepin-dark gtk or deepin gtk match a lot closer than it does now, I’d play about with it but I have other things to do :wink: Probably a waste of time anyway if they are moving to kwin.

Good news, they’re in the process of making per-monitor scaling from one of my feature request! :space_invader:

Milestone Deepin v15.9.3

Also by the same milestone they should implement periodic cycle through walpapers (just like Windows 7+) ! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What Deepin 15.10 hold for us somewhere in April 2019 :sunglasses: :heart_eyes:

Control Center Support different display scaling values for multiple screens, and fix the blank screen issue when setting dual screens.
Desktop Environment Add an auto-merge feature for desktop files; support wallpaper slideshows ; beautify the theme for Google Chrome; improve dock animation; and offer a new way to quick start the applications on dock.
Window Manager Gradually switch the window manager to KWin; optimize the split-screen function; reduce memory usage of window manager; and solve the low efficiency in rendering images.
Deepin File Manager Add disc burning function; optimize toolbar and property display.
Deepin Image viewer Optimize image copying and the print preview.
Deepin Editor Support creating files by command.

https://www.deepin.org/en/developer-community/planning/

4 Likes

okay it seems deepin can now use kwin as window manager.
by installing deepin-kwin package
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/deepin-kwin/

While it's technically true and even welcome for testing as stated here, looking at hundreds of bugs in internal discussion and status of VERY WIP - i would highly advise anyone not to do this on production systems, until officially approved :upside_down_face:

I've tried it, and it's very raw for now :space_invader:

well its easy just copy kde installation kwinrc

All I did was install deepin-kwin make a .desktop file and place it in home/.config/autostart folder and then added the Exec=kwin_x11 --replace to the file.

kwin now starts at login :wink: