DE not loading up on Boot, TTY not helping

Hello!

My Problem has probably already been discussed, i just couldnt get smarter by reading them, i guess i need a little “taking by the hand”.

When i boot up my Manjaro, it loads as normal, but doesnt show desktop backgrounds and i can not use most applications. Some applications work (e.g. Terminal, Firefox,…) but i sometimes can not control the windows.

So i guess something about X11 is broken. TTY F1 and F5 do work, but they have different aspects loaded (F1 for example has no panels loaded but i can drag windows).

The changes i made to X11 were: I disabled the “render all windows” in the window settings tweaking in order to get Gsync to work, but that didnt happen either. at least the stuttering was gone in games.

Whenever i try another TTY, after logging in and trying $ startx it shows me, that “Xserver has been terminated” at the end of the log.

In a working TTY, when trying to startx it shows the following:

XOrg X Server 1.21.1.8
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Current Operating System: Linux philipp-z370pd3 6.2.12-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Apr 20 14:17:37 UTC 2023 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.2-x86_64 root=UUID=9cbfb756-6165-42d8-8159-c91416dc9ca5 rw quiet splash apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3

Current version of pixman: 0.42.2
Before reporting problems, check -website-
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (–) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: “/var/log/Xorg.1.log”, Time: Wed May 3 11:14:40 2023
(==) Using config directory: “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d”
(==) Using system config directory “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d”
Failed to connect to bus: No medium found
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=‘unix:path=/tmp/dbus-5ya21GBbla,guid=549b7651f855cd698c1273dc64522601’;
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=3620;
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

To save the log file from the terminal in a terminal only TTY, i might need some help as i dont understand the “>” command apparently and i wouldnt even know where it saves this file.

Maybe someone can help a newcomer like me.

Can you confirm that DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set?

$ echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

I’d expect it to be set by systemd … maybe dbus isn’t running, can you check? Showing my system results:

$ systemctl list-units dbus* -all
  UNIT         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                    
  dbus.service loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus       
  dbus.socket  loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus Socket

Can you try to set DBUS_SESSION_DBUS_ADDRESS to what it says and run startx again?

$ DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:path=/tmp/dbus-5ya21GBbla,guid=549b7651f855cd698c1273dc64522601'; export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS;
$ startx

I don’t know much more, good luck!

(Edit - fixed mangled quotes)

$ echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS shows:

unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus

$ systemctl list-units dbus* -all

shows the same as yours.

trying $ sudo startx spits out:
xauth: file/root/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth: file/root/.Xauthority does not exist

then it showed some more stuff i couldnt remember in the time writing this till it crashed (30 seconds after sudo startx)
now i cant even log in anymore in the working TTYs.

back to terminal only.

i tried sudo startx in the terminal now…

since i cant post pics here, i will type out what the terminal says on my phone:

after the system specs it says:

Failed to connect to bus: No medium found
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
DBUS_SESSION_BZS_ADDRESS=‘unix:path=/tmp/dbus-manylettersandnumbers’;
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=1187;
xinit connection to X server lost
qaiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

guess ill set the bus address to the unix:path again and try again

ok after setting DBUS again this error is gone. the old one remains + i still can not log on. only 1 TTY spits out a GUI now, the other seems trashed (no terminal).

Good that your DBUS session addr is set, although idk why startx thinks its not set.

You mention TTY 1 to 5 … on my system XFCE I get to the GUI session by Ctrl-Alt-F7, whereas on KDE the GUI is usually on Ctrl-Alt-F1.

You should never start GUI as root (or with sudo) !

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.

[HowTo] Provide System Information

1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already searched for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

ok im sorry. i thought it doesnt work w/o sudo because when i just do ‘’’ startx ‘’’
it either does nothing or tells me xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority
or crashes
or gives the “x server shut down” error

use formatting for the outputs:

```
your output here
```

can you enter into tty?
if yes rerun update again:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

if you are up to date, and there were no errors, run:
sudo ldconfig
it should return nothing…