DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2-1 Permission Denied Install Issue

Hi All,

I keep getting the “Permission denied” error when installing the current version of Davinci Resolve Studio. I am using the GUI and AUR is enabled. I have also gone to Blackmagic and downloaded the windows version of the same package and left it in the Download folder like Eavnos Linux suggests. The strangest part is I have uninstalled and installed from 16-Beta, to 17-Beta, to 17.1-Beta, to finally 17.1 Studio after I bought the license. I followed the same procedure by removing 17.1 to upgrade to 17.2-1, but now I get the error below. I have been using Manjaro Linux for around 5 years and will try the ISO if I have to do so, but I hope this is an easy fix for someone on this forum. I really need my DaVinci Resolve back. Best bang for the one time buck in my opinion.

Will sum.

Regards,

Gerry

Building davinci-resolve-studio…
==> Making package: davinci-resolve-studio 17.2-1 (Sat 15 May 2021 09:50:36 PM CDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> Retrieving sources…
→ Found DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.2_Linux.zip
==> Validating source files with sha256sums…
DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.2_Linux.zip … Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory…
==> Extracting sources…
→ Extracting DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.2_Linux.zip with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()…
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory…
==> Entering fakeroot environment…
==> Starting package()…
==> Creating missing folders…
==> Extracting from bundle…
Please wait, this take a while…
/var/tmp/pamac-build-mapman97/davinci-resolve-studio/PKGBUILD: line 121: ./DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.2_Linux.run: Permission denied
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
Aborting…

Hello,

That is absolutely unnecessary. You should already know that, if a package is updated, or the source of it, just updating/building (if from AUR) again will do it, as any update/reinstall of a new package …

Is mentioned on the package page with the solution for that very issue.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/davinci-resolve-studio#comment-807892

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I don’t normally uninstall and reinstall, but occasionally updates through the GUI fail and DR is one of those for me anyway. I think your response will help many users. I have modified my code so much and now get a “failed to prepare transaction” error when installing DR from the GUI. So, I plan to restore from Timeshift later today, because I need it to work this week. I will address the update from 17.1 to 17.2 at a later date. If I have issues, I will reach out once again.

Stay safe.

Thanks again,

Gerry

Hi All,

I didn’t think I would be back so soon. I am up and running on DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1. I ran the upgrade to 17.2 and got the error below. Then, I updated the code to have the “chmod +x” inserted as immelman and alcomatt suggested in the following links, but I still get an error.

Two questions:

1. Will the master code be updated at a later date, so this works for everyone in the future?
  2. Or, do individual users have to edit code until it takes, because all systems are so different?

2nd try, code change ------> ERROR: Failed to build davinci-resolve-studio
[immelman commented on 2021-05-16 01:42
Fails to build right now. Be sure to add “chmod +x ./${_installer_binary}” beetween line 120 and 121
alcomatt commented on 2021-05-15 15:03
Needs chmod +x between just in front of line 120 in PKGFILE, otherwise, fails to build]

1st try, no code change -----> ERROR: Failed validity check
Preparing…
Cloning davinci-resolve-studio build files…
Checking davinci-resolve-studio dependencies…
Synchronizing package databases…
Refreshing core.db…
Refreshing extra.db…
Refreshing community.db…
Refreshing multilib.db…
Refreshing core.files…
Refreshing extra.files…
Refreshing community.files…
Refreshing multilib.files…
Resolving dependencies…
Checking inter-conflicts…

Building davinci-resolve-studio…
==> Making package: davinci-resolve-studio 17.2-1 (Tue 18 May 2021 11:43:43 AM CDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> Retrieving sources…
→ Found DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.2_Linux.zip
==> Validating source files with sha256sums…
DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.2_Linux.zip … FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!
Failed to build davinci-resolve-studio

Thanks again,

Gerry

I had the same issue. What did it for me was actually running the .run file inside the .zip to manually install the program.

Thank you radumitrescu, it worked and added my Speed Editor.

Sum:
I downloaded the 17.2 update from the Blackmagic website. I ran the .run file and the update found version 17.1. I chose to install, becuase the only other choice was uninstall. I plugged my Speed Editor into the USB and opened the application. After the welcome and what’s new screen, setup found the Speed Editor and displayed ready for update. I ran the Speed Editor update and it lit up the keys on the SE panel. Works great on Manjaro Linux. I have used it for 3 projects now and the SE definitely makes a difference.

Thanks again all,

Gerry