Cyberpunk 2077 and mesa-git

Maybe try adding %command% --launcher-skip to the launch options.

No luck, the game window just doesnā€™t pop up. Does steam have a log file somewhere that I could look at?

EDIT: Found the game crashdump files. I see an error stating:
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression: commonFileLoaded
Message: Failed to load in-game config file from ā€˜Z:\home\nicklocal\share\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config\settings\options.jsonā€™
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\redconfig\src\ingameconfigreader.cpp
Line: 449

I donā€™t have a Z drive. could that be an issue?

It is because it is a proton game, your root is z:/

If you have issues in Steam, first thing VERIFY FILES IN STEAM for everything involved, here the game, and Proton.

For the Steam log, if you donā€™t know where it is, google ā€œSteam Linux log file locationā€.

Also you can start Steam from terminal to have direct output.

//EDIT: also, after cleaning things, verifying file, reinstalling things, you might want to reset the proton prefix for the game, delete the folder /home/{USER NAME}/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/{FOLDER OF THE GAME YOU WANT TO RESET THE PROTON PREFIX FOR}/ the folder name being the Steam AppID. For Cyberpunk 2077 it is 1091500

I just wanted to say thanks! Thanks for the awesomeness that is Manjaro as a whole and thanks for putting in the effort of making it so simple to get Cyberpunk 2077 up and running. My rgb-loving-gamer-son-who-saved-up-his-Steam-credit was thrilled he got to play it from day one!

4 Likes

The game is sort of playable on AMD and Nvidia but thereā€™s a ton of sound issues that arenā€™t fixable at this moment.
I guess itā€™s better to wait for the game patches because itā€™s too unstable and buggy at the moment and then wait for various proton and wine fixes that will make some Linux specific issues go away.
See this protondb reports:

https://www.protondb.com/app/1091500

I suspect that we need to wait at least 6 months to have some really playable version but at least a year or more to have smoother experience. Still, itā€™s incredible that the game can be even launched so soon after the release.

I hope that maybe we get Vulkan options at some point? Some say that it is already implemented for Googleā€™s Stadia, so maybe it will make its way to retail version? One could dream.

1 Like

I guess it depends. I just asked and my son said the game is totally playable and that he didnā€™t encounter any sound issues or other problems. We donā€™t have any comparison material, so maybe background music is missing as the reports say, but so far heā€™s happy :slight_smile: Which is not to say there are no problems and that they will get fixed eventually.

So i am loosing my mind with this. I have tried multiple configurations and combinations of mesa vs mesa-git, latest proton vs experimental proton, steam cyberpunk vs gog drm free proton and I am continuously getting full system crashes right after the CDPR logo.

system specs

System: Host: tallboi Kernel: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.4
tk: Qt 5.15.2 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux
CPU: Info: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 L2 cache: 4096 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 115252
Speed: 3921 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3921 2: 4154 3: 4154 4: 2202
5: 4158 6: 4160 7: 2247 8: 4158 9: 4154 10: 2356 11: 4158 12: 4157 13: 2384 14: 4150 15: 4044 16: 4151
Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] vendor: Tul
driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 2c:00.0 chip ID: 1002:731f
Display: x11 server: X. (adding extra stuff her because it thinks its a link)Org 1.20.10 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting,radeon
alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 2560x1440~144Hz 3: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (NAVI10 DRM 3.39.0 5.9.11-3-MANJARO LLVM 11.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.3 direct render: Yes

(i have ran it on the mesa-git devel version as well but it causes instability in chromium so i have reverted back for the purposes of writing this post.)

I want to compare and contrast the drm free vs the steam drm versions of the games on linux to see if there is any performance penalty, but i cant even get it to run.

Edit - I got it working, after rereading some other posts in this forum, i removed amdvlk which fixed my crash

Duplicating my post here too:

Just a heads up, seems like they had bad default configuration files for PC, may benefit from looking into this thread

//EDIT: this ended up being a total non fix as this file wasnā€™t even used by the game, and user experiencing better performance were because of the game inconsistent performance run to runā€¦

2 Likes

Additional info about Proton and Cyberpunk 2077:

Also, itā€™s good to quote some info from another article on gamingonlinux:

In regards to Cyberpunk 2077 with VKD3D-Proton and Steam Play Proton, they mention in the release notes that this is mainly for AMD as NVIDIA drivers are missing the VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor_type extension which accidentally works around some fatal bugs within the game itself. Cyberpunk 2077 does work on NVIDIA GPUs but it will randomly hang and issues are likely to change over time since itā€™s a new game, with a lot of bugs.

2 Likes

Hey guys
Small update here, mesa-git is not required anymore for Cyberpunk

one of the recent updates borked my mesa-git, refusing to update it so i switched back to stable mesa (currently 20.3.4) The game seems to work fine, i expect the performance would be better on mesa-git but would recommend people use the stable version. I also believe the Manjaro team will release Mesa 21 shortly which was the original requirement for the game to work

Itā€™s currently in the unstable branch.

1 Like

For Nvidia users, Cyberpunk 2077 works well since quite some time. In the early 2021 it was a bit problematic and the game was freezing at some points, but now itā€™s surprisingly stable.
The only issue with Nvidia is that some areas are pitch black and you have to use scanning to see something. Itā€™s annoying but playable for the most part, especially that those areas are rare in the game. Hopefully this book will end soon.