Cyberpunk 2077 and mesa-git

Hi guys
As per the news today, if you have an AMD card and use the mesa-git package you can play Cyberpunk on steam via proton

!! BE CAREFUL WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL MESA-GIT !!!

Please see this guide I have published on the best way to swap to the git version of Mesa

Recommended:
-take a damn backup first

Mesa-Git guide:

If you can wait, the updates for cyberpunk will be added to Mesa package that is included with Manjaro, but this is a major release? so it could take a month.

Personally I have now tested the game with mesa-git and it works for the most part, the game is quite buggy though even in windows and the proton team will work on improvements from their end too

3 Likes

Thankyou! I will try this out in a little while :slight_smile:

BTW, do you know if I can just use the GUI ‘Package Manager’ that ships with Manjaro KDE, or do I need to use Yay?

I believe that is pamac, so don’t use it!

The Proton 5.13-4 was released with the sole change of Cyberpunk 2077 now being playable. The support requires AMD Radeon graphics and be using Mesa 20.1-devel Git.

mesa-git can be simply installed via Pamac from our repositories. After that fire up Steam and enable the latest Proton.

pamac install mesa-git lib32-mesa-git

1 Like

thanks @philm but has this been tested? can you confirm the issue with pamac has been resolved?

Which issue do you have with pamac? And now, we didn’t test it yet.

how can you instruct users to change their graphics drivers without testing this first?

did you even read my first post?

On the old forums there are at least 3 threads of people who have had their OS destroyed because when pamac tries to swap from mesa to mesa-git it removes every package that depends on mesa

When I find time I might test it. Also packages from AUR are not supported by us, so let’s see on how we may integrate mesa-git better.

That sounds great. I’d love to see mesa-git in the official repos with a safe and easy way to switch between them via Pamac. Thanks :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh, and another question. When I install mesa-git with yay, will it auto update or will it simply just install the currently available version of mesa-git and leave it at that?

If you use packages from AUR you are the driver of that package. Sometimes the AUR maintainer bumps it. On ARM we do a weekly rebuild of the package, which we will do now for x64 too.

Sorry I’m slightly confused by what you said. I know that AUR package maintainers do update things sometimes, and with Pamac, as long as the relevant update options are ticked in the settings, the AUR packages will update when they do this. However, I’m just wondering what happens when I use yay to install something - will it still update as normal via Pamac or will I need to do something else?

Thanks so much for help!

yay is just a AUR helper. I personally don’t recommend any AUR helpers for reasons. Focus should only be pamac to get packages from the AUR in an easy and user friendly way. And if there are any issues with it, then they should be reported as most of our developers have no time to read the forums.

I’m currently building the packages for our repos and will upload them shortly. Then you can install it via:

pamac install mesa-git lib32-mesa-git

1 Like

Both packages are now uploaded to all our branches. I’ll fire up a VM to test the install via pamac now.

1 Like

Sweet :slight_smile: I’ll wait for your reply here then before I do anything. Thanks!

Installation went fine so far: Installing Mesa-Git via Pamac on Manjaro 20.2 Nibia - Pastebin.com

Graphics:
Device-1: VMware SVGA II Adapter driver: vmwgfx v: 2.18.0.0
bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 15ad:0405
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: vmware unloaded: modesetting
alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x969~60Hz s-dpi: 96
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 256 bits)
v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.0-devel (git-04c7fce799) compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

that looks good, it did not remove any other packages…
I will test myself tonight and then update my posts with easier instructions

Thankyou for testing! Hopefully things go smoothly when switching back and forth between the default Mesa install and mesa-git as I’ll only want mesa-git temporarily until the stable Mesa catches up with CP2077 patches.

Anyway, as soon as I can see mesa-git in the official repos, I’ll give it a go :slight_smile: It’s just not showing up yet…

Switching back is not given as mesa stable is splitted up. You may want to write down what got removed or remember to review pacman.log for later reverse.

VM example:

To install (3):
  lib32-mesa-git           21.0.0_devel.132192.04c7fce799a-1                                    multilib   21.0 MB
  mesa-git                 21.0.0_devel.132192.04c7fce799a-1                                    community  28.5 MB
  libclc                   11.0.0-1                           (Required By: mesa-git)           extra      8.4 MB
To remove (4):
  mesa                     20.2.3-1                           (Conflicts With: mesa-git)        extra
  libva-mesa-driver        20.2.3-1                           (Conflicts With: mesa-git)        extra
  lib32-mesa               20.2.3-1                           (Conflicts With: lib32-mesa-git)  multilib
  lib32-libva-mesa-driver  20.2.3-1                           (Conflicts With: lib32-mesa-git)  multilib
2 Likes

Good idea. If I search for ‘mesa’ in Pamac, I see all of these are currently installed:

mesa
mesa-demos
mesa-vdpau
lib32-libva-mesa-driver
lib32-mesa
lib32-mesa-demos
lib32-mesa-vdpau
libva-mesa-driver
lib32-vulkan-intel
lib32-vulkan-radeon
vulkan-intel
vulkan-radeon

I’ll also have a look at what Pamac says it will remove and make sure I’ve noted it all down!

Still waiting for mesa-git to show though. All I can see at the moment is the AUR version. I’ve been refreshing the databases but nothing yet…

Cheers.

Edit: Any idea how long it’ll take to show up in the repos? I was hoping it’d be sooner :confused:

please add this to your guide

You need to at least remove amdvlk, as it’s causing your hang issue. I’m not sure how to remove llvmpipe but you probably want to do that as well.