Cyberpunk 2077 and mesa-git

Nice work!

I know it’s a little off-topic, but is anyone having issues with missing sound/audio? I find that I can’t hear NPC gunshots or explosions. There’s also missing voice from radios & TVs plus probably some other bits and pieces. Any ideas?

the sound issues, and tons of other problems are present on windows too, I probably wont play the story until the new year when all the bugs have been ironed out

Yeh I’ve been noticing others saying the same thing. I’m trying to find fixes. I want to play the game so badly but it’s a bit too much of an issue for me to carry on with it for now :confused:

is this only required AMD Graphic, correct? not geforce at all?

At the moment only some AMD cards work,

see this thread for Nvidia testing/news

1 Like

Nvidia cards work with the latest driver but apparently they take a huge performance hit

so question, which the mostly best only work AMD or Nvidia for gaming linux? just curious.

That question is horribly composed (perhaps English isn’t your first language?) and completely off-topic for this thread. “What is the best?” questions have no place in a support forum. Please do your own research.

Please stay on topic. @philm was kind enough to add mesa-git and lib32-mesa-git to the repos to help with playing the game.

sorry, i am newbie, to this forum, please be kind, thank you, for harsh word, much appreciate it.

For me it kept crashing after playing for a few minutes. I went to the nvidia Linux driver forum. There’s a thread there on the game which seems to suggest running the mesa-git package on the open-source driver for now. Has anyone tried that? Cyberpunk 2077 - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Obviously if you are running an amd card don’t bother trying this. This is meant as a possible temporary solution to those (like me) who have nvidia cards. (started researching amd cards tonight for my next upgrade…)

Anyone else having the problem of steam not starting any games with proton 5.13-4?
It is stuck on endlessly preparing to launch - first noticed with cyberpunk, and them tried some other games with the same result.
And maybe any suggestions on how to tackle that?
Thank you

@Kraut

your post is off topic. I’ll PM you.

Updated to Mesa 21.0.0-devel via AUR and enabled Proton in Steam. When I launch the game the small launching window pops up, loading bar fills but then the game never actually spawns. Any troubleshooting for this?

Maybe try adding %command% --launcher-skip to the launch options.

No luck, the game window just doesn’t pop up. Does steam have a log file somewhere that I could look at?

EDIT: Found the game crashdump files. I see an error stating:
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression: commonFileLoaded
Message: Failed to load in-game config file from ‘Z:\home\nicklocal\share\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config\settings\options.json’
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\redconfig\src\ingameconfigreader.cpp
Line: 449

I don’t have a Z drive. could that be an issue?

It is because it is a proton game, your root is z:/

If you have issues in Steam, first thing VERIFY FILES IN STEAM for everything involved, here the game, and Proton.

For the Steam log, if you don’t know where it is, google “Steam Linux log file location”.

Also you can start Steam from terminal to have direct output.

//EDIT: also, after cleaning things, verifying file, reinstalling things, you might want to reset the proton prefix for the game, delete the folder /home/{USER NAME}/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/{FOLDER OF THE GAME YOU WANT TO RESET THE PROTON PREFIX FOR}/ the folder name being the Steam AppID. For Cyberpunk 2077 it is 1091500

I just wanted to say thanks! Thanks for the awesomeness that is Manjaro as a whole and thanks for putting in the effort of making it so simple to get Cyberpunk 2077 up and running. My rgb-loving-gamer-son-who-saved-up-his-Steam-credit was thrilled he got to play it from day one!

4 Likes

The game is sort of playable on AMD and Nvidia but there’s a ton of sound issues that aren’t fixable at this moment.
I guess it’s better to wait for the game patches because it’s too unstable and buggy at the moment and then wait for various proton and wine fixes that will make some Linux specific issues go away.
See this protondb reports:

https://www.protondb.com/app/1091500

I suspect that we need to wait at least 6 months to have some really playable version but at least a year or more to have smoother experience. Still, it’s incredible that the game can be even launched so soon after the release.

I hope that maybe we get Vulkan options at some point? Some say that it is already implemented for Google’s Stadia, so maybe it will make its way to retail version? One could dream.

1 Like

I guess it depends. I just asked and my son said the game is totally playable and that he didn’t encounter any sound issues or other problems. We don’t have any comparison material, so maybe background music is missing as the reports say, but so far he’s happy :slight_smile: Which is not to say there are no problems and that they will get fixed eventually.