Cursor frozen on login

Hey there, sometimes when I power on my computer, the cursor won’t move. Keyboard works, graphics work, I can login and use keyboard shortcuts to make things happen, but the mouse won’t work until I power it off and back on. Sometimes I have to do that 2 or 3 times in a row for the mouse to move. Once it’s moving, it works fine the whole time, but where do I look to see what’s not working when it happens? I can move to a TTY at power up to look at logs if I need to, I just don’t know where to start looking.

You can use the commands below to trouble shoot.

dmesg will show you messages from the kernel ring buffer that may include device errors.

lshw --mouse will show you information about your mouse.

modprobe will let you restart modules.

I would try the two commands below to start. I’m listing two of the most common mouse modules for you to try. Post the output of lshw --mouse if you need help. Good luck!

Run the below commands in a terminal all one command:

Try first:
sudo modprobe -r mousedev && modprobe mousedev

Try second:
sudo modprobe -r psmouse && modprobe psmouse

Thanks for posting. Of course it hasn’t happened since then, but I’ll run these when it does so I can see it

No problem. A kernel update was released for Manjaro, so you might be on version 5.15 which could of fixed the issue…

OK, this didn’t work. In both cases it accepts but the first argument, but doing modprobe mousedev and modprobe psmouse gives the error ERROR: could not insert 'mousedev' : operation not permitted [or psmouse, depending on command].

Are you running the commands exactly as I posted them? Are you making sure sudo is used? Please send the output of the command below back while the mouse is working, it will tell me exactly what module your mouse is using.

sudo lsmod | grep -i mouse

To be fair your modprobe initialization commands do not include sudo
(after the &&)

sudo modprobe -r mousedev && sudo modprobe mousedev
sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse

CSCS,
Thanks for correcting. I usually post from my phone and try to type to fast to get back to other things.

No worries, happens to us all.
Forgetting sudo is a victimless crime anyways … much preferable to needlessly including it :slight_smile:

mousedev 24576 0

That’s the lsmod output. I did run them as you had them, I cannot remember if I ran them with sudo in front as cscs is mentioning.

No problem. For that module you’ll want to run the command below. Let me know if it works.

sudo modprobe -r mousedev && sudo modprobe mousedev

OK, I’ll try it again when it happens!

Both commands executed correctly, but the mouse still didn’t start moving after running that.

Sorry, I don’t have any other ideas at the moment. I would say research the commands I mentioned at the top of the post, and try to troubleshoot. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself on this matter will chime in.