CUPS configuration

Hello, I had several questions about CUPS,
With the update, is there something to be done on the services? I don’t remember if I had them activated or not

Does avahi need to be installed on server and client, to share printer with cups, for discovery? Or just one of the two?

On cups client workstations, do I have to add the printer even if it finds it with avahi? I don’t see what difference it makes, maybe there is a subtlety

Thank you

1 Like

Yes, the service names were shortened.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS#Installation

Do I have to change them manually?

I did. But you may want to check:

$ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

Yes, you need to issue those commands:

sudo systemctl stop org.cups.cupsd.socket
sudo systemctl stop org.cups.cupsd.service
sudo systemctl stop org.cups.cupsd.path
sudo systemctl disable org.cups.cupsd.socket
sudo systemctl disable org.cups.cupsd.service
sudo systemctl disable org.cups.cupsd.path
sudo systemctl enable cups.service
sudo systemctl enable cups.socket
sudo systemctl enable cups.path

And reboot.

Thanks, I haven’t changed the services yet and it finds me the network printer, is that normal?

Did you do the update with CUPS change? I’m not sure if this update reached stable branch yet.

Just check status of the processes:

OLD ONES:

sudo systemctl status org.cups.cupsd.socket
sudo systemctl status org.cups.cupsd.service
sudo systemctl status .cups.cupsd.path

If that shows them as Active, then the update didn’t happen yet.

However, I’m not sure if the printer can’t communicate with your system in another way if a driver is present. Maybe there is a way for it to work, even if CUPS are broken? I’m not an expert in the matter.

Anyway, the commands above will show you if the old processes are still in place. If not, they will be shown as not found or something like that.

The status of new ones would be:

sudo systemctl status cups.service
sudo systemctl status cups.socket
sudo systemctl status cups.path

As you may have noticed, the commands for the services are pretty simple and regular. The only hardship is to find out the name of the process.

sudo systemctl command process_name

So basically the main commands are:

stop - stop current process, will be restarted with system reboot if enabled
start - start stop current process, will be restarted with system reboot if disabled
enable - enable automatically the process after reboot
disable - disable the process from automatically starting at boot
status - shows status

That’s basically all. There are ways to combine them, so enable and start in one command if you want.

I was having trouble connecting to my printer on my gnome nibia install, the printer could not be found while searching only direct connecting through the IP and selecting the model would work. Scanning was not possible. Until I read this post and remembered the avahi option. Enabling avahi solved my scan problem, it even recognizes the loader tray :slight_smile: Thanks for the hint!

Thanks for your help, so if I don’t touch anything, the org.cups.cupsd.socket org.cups.cupsd.service org.cups.cupsd.path services are no longer present

But there are also no new ones using the same command, I used your commands, but just wanted to understand out of curiosity, knowing that I installed manjaro on friends pc

@Hanzel For avahi it is necessary on the workstation, or server + client, or only client?
Thank you

Frankly, it’s hard to understand what you wrote. Everything contradicts each other and there are too many vague points :frowning:. I’ll try to address some of the points I think you may be asking:

After the update the processes were renamed so the old ones won’t work and throw out errors, The commands are to stop and disable processes linked to old names and enable the same processes linked to new names. So the processes simply must be linked to proper names to be properly launchable by systemd.

If you install Manjaro from ISO that already has that update, there is nothing to do, because CUPS processes will be already correctly named. However, I’m not sure if there is Manjaro iso available with that update at the moment. Has this update reached the stable branch already? Was Manjaro ISO updated after the CUPS update on stable branch?

Thanks for your answer, so what I was trying to say is that I updated the cups package without changing the services, but firefox found the printer shared by cups on another PC, while libreoffice did not. not find, I wondered why