Cryptsetup can't unlock LUKS2 device, for some reason...?!?

I can’t - but I tried to recreate by doing the following.

cryptsetup --version
cryptsetup 2.5.0 flags: UDEV BLKID KEYRING KERNEL_CAPI

generate Key:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=secret.bin bs=1024 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1024 bytes (1,0 kB, 1,0 KiB) copied, 9,1194e-05 s, 11,2 MB/s

create Fakedrive:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2048 of=fakedrive.img
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2,1 GB, 2,0 GiB) copied, 16,2785 s, 132 MB/s

Format using the key:

cryptsetup luksFormat fakedrive.img secret.bin

WARNING!
========
This will overwrite data on fakedrive.img irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type 'yes' in capital letters): YES

Open the encrypted fakedrive (all of these work)
one has --keyfile= and the other doesn’t have the “=”

sudo cryptsetup open --key-file secret.bin fakedrive.img test

sudo cryptsetup close test

sudo cryptsetup open --key-file=secret.bin fakedrive.img test

sudo cryptsetup luksOpen --key-file secret.bin fakedrive.img test

I hope you can successfully reproduce this.
You should be able to.

You’re not able to use the Argon2 key derivation, and @ion’s post above has an Arch Linux bug report of the same exact issue.

I have no idea why it’s behaving this way…

Besides, the package argon2 is a hard dependency.

The one thing you didn’t try (not yet?), is to test this out on a standard ISO. This could be an issue with a missing library from the minimial ISO?

When I get the chance, I’ll download the minimal ISO and try it myself in a live session, to see if I can recreate your issue.

Wouldn’t this only be even relevant when a passphrase was used (as opposed to just a key-file)?

Key derivation works on files or passphrases. Makes no difference, other than one is stored as a file, while the other is memorized in the user’s brain. They are used to decrypt the Master Key, regardless if passphrase or keyfile, and they both use the same derivation function (PBKDF2, Argon2, etc.).

I just tried out the full ISO manjaro-gnome-21.3.7-220816-linux515.iso

It didn’t work.

I don’t think it’s worth you trying to reproduce this on your PC. I have an Asus Laptop running Manjaro, with a luks2 encrypted home, running just fine. I believe this is machine specific.

What CPU architecture does this machine use? x86?
Or can you show more details about this machine that does not work with Argon2?

Is there an error message in the log when unlocking fails?

$ journalctl -p 3 -b -f
1 Like

I can only make wild guesses: it can be a spurious error of the 5.15 / cryptsetup combo you use (but this should show up on another machine with the full ISO), it can be linked to the BIOS changes @frost19k made (due to failing kernel 6.0), or a failing component (e.g. one CPU core, see [2).

I think your best bet is to undo:

(reset to safe memory and default CPU settings, if you don’t remember your previous ones) and try to unlock your inaccessible blockdevices. If it works to unlock, make luks header backups first before adding any keys with anything other than argon. If it does not work, there should be a fair chance you can unlock the devices on another PC/notebook.

2 Likes

Yup, you called it!!!

I played around with my BIOS settings & can confirm that it’s DOCP (AMD’s XMP) that’s the “cause” of the error.

BIOS settings that cause error (screenshot)

BIOS settings that're fine (screenshot)

I’ll mark the issue as resolved, but if someone has the patience to explain what’s going on that would be super!

Edit: As in, why does enabling DOCP give me a (seemingly) stable system - with luks2 decryption failure being the only observable issue.

P.S. There’s an inxi dump in my initial post, if you need to see HW details.

P.P.S Always be verbose in your support requests, kids. Helps people make good guesses!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hm, I have DOCP that is enabled in the same Asus BIOS setting like it in your photo.

But I can not reproduce this issue. :man_shrugging:

$  cryptsetup --version
cryptsetup 2.5.0 flags: UDEV BLKID KEYRING KERNEL_CAPI 
$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=secret.bin bs=1024 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1024 bytes (1,0 kB, 1,0 KiB) copied, 0,000138671 s, 7,4 MB/s
$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2048 of=fakedrive.img
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2,1 GB, 2,0 GiB) copied, 0,58842 s, 3,6 GB/s
$ cryptsetup luksFormat fakedrive.img secret.bin

WARNING!
========
This will overwrite data on fakedrive.img irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type 'yes' in capital letters): YES
$ cryptsetup luksDump fakedrive.img
Keyslots:
  0: luks2
        Key:        512 bits
        Priority:   normal
        Cipher:     aes-xts-plain64
        Cipher key: 512 bits
        PBKDF:      argon2id
        Time cost:  12
        Memory:     1048576
        Threads:    4
        Salt:       2c ad 13 c6 80 d9 29 57 b4 f4 d8 16 14 24 d3 1f 
                    c4 2e 1c 45 20 1f 4b ba bc 18 cc 6d 42 c7 84 04 
        AF stripes: 4000
        AF hash:    sha256
        Area offset:32768 [bytes]
        Area length:258048 [bytes]
        Digest ID:  0

$ sudo cryptsetup open --key-file secret.bin fakedrive.img test

$ ls /dev/mapper/
control  test

$ sudo cryptsetup close test

$ ls /dev/mapper/
control

It works without any issue on my machine with DOCP.

I guess the issue is your RAM or mainboard that does not work with DOCP and argon2 together.

1 Like

That’s good, it indeed looked like a weird software fluke. And yes, your verbosity in the original post was great, I missed that you had provided the luksDump there already.

I’m pretty sure the luks2 failure was just the first symptom and that you would have noticed other software crashes later. Consider that argon2 differs from pbkdf2 in two main points per design: 1. it uses much more memory and 2. multiple threads (up to 4 CPU; check your systems cryptsetup benchmark).
Both points are likely subject to your mainboards DOCP autotune (i.e. faster memory and CPU speeds). Now, if cryptsetup defaults to 2000ms iteration time, it means four threads will be fully loaded for two seconds with argon2 hashing, whereas pbkdf2 is single threaded (1/4 load and less memory per design). I can’t detail right away why the initial luks2 encryption with argon2 did not fail first, but the process itself to benchmark/encrypt/create the luks2 header is naturally different. To investigate one would have to observe system load differences for both tasks (luksFormat & open) and dive into respective code. So, if flaky DOCP is indeed the cause, you would have probably experienced crashes later in cpu intensive multithreaded tasks. These are my 2cents on it. Btw: perhaps your issues with the new kernel also vanish with these bios settings. Good luck.

edit:

Indeed, the combination of DOCP of the specific memory modules and/or cpu is what counts, not the autotune feature per se.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.