Creating video tutorials, can I use the Manjaro logo?

I’m in the process of creating a YouTube tutorial series focused on moving from Windows to Linux (specifically Manjaro) and would like to be able to incorporate the Manjaro Logo into the animated video intro given that my focus is purely Manjaro.

I have no idea how the Logo is licensed though, and don’t want to get into any trouble. Could someone from the Manjaro team please advise me. Thanks.

5 Likes

Trademarks

Manjaro Linux uses several trademarks from different projects. Their rights are not overruled by our license and stay intact.

• Manjaro Linux, copyright © 2011-2018 Philip Müller and the Manjaro Developers
  • Manjaro Linux, copyright © 2019-2020 Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG
  • Manjaro® name and logo are registered trademarks of Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG. Some rights reserved. The Manjaro Community is licensed to use the trademark with given terms.
  • Arch Linux, copyright © 2002-2020 Judd Vinet and Aaron Griffin
  • GNOME is licensed under the GNOME Foundation’s License Agreement
  • KDE® and the K Desktop Environment® logo are registered trademarks of KDE e.V.
  • The registered trademark Linux® is used pursuant to a sublicense from LMI, the exclusive licensee of Linus Torvalds, owner of the mark on a world-wide basis.

All other trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners and are only mentioned for informative purposes.

I empasized a part of the above quote and I interpret it this way.

Manjaro Community is allowed to use the name and logo.

As long as you are very clear

• the material is your own work
  • not delivered by Manjaro
  • not endorsed by Manjaro
  • you don’t misrepresent Manjaro in any way

I don’t think it is a problem.

Maybe connect with @philm and @oberon to clarify the above.

Note: It would be nice for a change if it were emphasized that AUR is unsupported - that such a package may break on system update or they may break the system update.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’ll connect with the contacts mentioned to confirm. Sounds like it will be fine for what I intend to use it for.

Thanks for the root tip. very handy. I’ll certainly be mentioning that the AUR is unsupported by the Manjaro team.

4 Likes

We also created the trademark to prevent others to use it in any commercial use without our permission. So it is always good to connect with us before you decide something, which might not fall into the waiver we gave our Manjaro Community.

1 Like

Yes, I can absolutely understand that, especially with what has been happening to OBS and GIMP lately is appalling.

Do you have a link to the waiver? Thanks :slight_smile:

I guess for anyone having queries in the future regarding using Manjaro in their any publication can visit this thread.

I’d like to have some hats made with the Manjaro logo on them (to wear at work), specifically a set of S/M, black, FlexFit hats. I’m pretty sure I’ll need some kind of written permission from Manjaro to use the logo, and, even if I don’t, I’d like to have it before I look for someone who can make the hats. I tried sending an email to the address in the about us section on the Manjaro website about a month ago, but I haven’t gotten a response, so I figured I would ask if you know what I should do. Thanks!

Are any of this something you want?

If you are on EU, just switch to EU shop and check the Accessories.
Do you have a specific design requirement? Let us know and we will see what can be done.

1 Like

what has been happening? to OBS and Gimp?

Yes, I need the FlexFit (fitted) hats, the ones without the snap-back. There wasn’t any on the Manjaro store, so I was going to have some made. I have to wear them at work to protect my head from the heat of the machines I’m working on, so there can’t be a huge hole in the back of the hat.

1 Like