Creating Bootable USB Drives from ISO that isn't bootable like ESXi

So I know there is Etcher, Unetbootin, DD, etc…

Unfortunately these are missing a vital aspect compared to Rufus. When you create a USB stick with Rufus it has an option that includes “UEFI and BIOS” as well as a “MBR”. They are drop downs and have additional options also but these above are default. This makes the USB boot-able in both UEFI and BIOS.

This is important if the ISO doesn’t have a boot-able ability build into the ISO. For example, ESXi VMWare ISO’s.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a GUI based USB creator that has the feature similar to Rufus but for Linux. Or if not a GUI, then how to do this in the terminal.

Of course avoiding Windows is the goal…

If you have a support contract with VMWare, raise a ticket with VMWare to include the EFI / MBR on their ISOs as they support Linux too.

If no one ever asks, they’ll never provide anything.

:man_shrugging:

Having said that, GNU xorisso seems to be what you’re after… Tons of options, but never tried it. (Just used google-foo)

:thinking:

I dont have a support contract with vMWare. I have a VMUG license which is basically $180 for bundle of vMWare products.

I was previously using a standard eval license but recently found this product called VMUG. Its AWESOME!

Still had to use Windows to write the ISO to USB with RUFUS.

1 Like

Writing and booting from ISO is no longer relevant. Use Ventoy!

Edit: