Creating a text list from a directory

I have external hard drives that I have put some media files on. I need to create a text list of the directories inside the hard drives. Is there a way to do this or a program in Linux that does it?

If I understand correctly, something like this should work:

find -type d /mnt/disk > directory_list.txt

This should work, just change the path and .txt file name:

find /Path/To/Disk/ -type d -printf '%f\n' > your_text_file.txt

It should print out only the folder names.

This command will not work because the path is in the wrong place. :wink:

Damn. I thought my mind-reading skills have improved :frowning:

You misunderstood me, what i meant is instead of:
find -type d /mnt/disk > directory_list.txt

The Path should be specified before -type or you will get a error message.
find /mnt/disk -type d > directory_list.txt

Oh. You are right. My bad.
I’m too used to fd now :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the correction!

Ok so if its an external disk where do I look for the path?

Using your favourite file manager, you can most probably right-click and choose “Open in Terminal”.
Then, pwd should give you the path.

OOoooooo hey nifty! Thanks :slight_smile:

Is there a way to only get the top level directories?

Yes, you can set depth. See: find --help or man find

Is there a limit on how many directories can be in the directory? I have a directory with 2,196 directories and I run this it takes about 45 seconds and there is no output text file.

Sorry but the manual does not make sense to me. I have a TBI and my comprehension is not what it used to be.

If manual doesn’t make sense to you, there are plenty of articles about find, you just have to ask google exactly the same question.

From man find:

-maxdepth levels
              Descend at most levels (a non-negative integer) levels of directories below
              the starting-points.  Using -maxdepth 0 means only apply the tests and  ac‐
              tions to the starting-points themselves.

-mindepth levels
              Do  not  apply any tests or actions at levels less than levels (a non-nega‐
              tive integer).  Using -mindepth 1 means process all files except the start‐
              ing-points.

Yeah I have googled it and gotten quite a bit of info, but that info right there does not tell me where to put the “0” I’m guessing since I just want the top level directory.

If you didn’t specify a custom directory it will be saved to your $HOME folder, just run ls in the terminal and look for the file name.

find /DIR/TO/DATA/ -maxdepth 1 -type d -printf '%f\n' > /DIR/TO/FILE.txt

Awesome that worked, thanks. One more thing is there a command that can be added so that the output is in alphabetical order?

The sort command should do the trick, try:

find /DIR/TO/DATA/ -maxdepth 1 -type d -printf '%f\n' | sort > /DIR/TO/FILE.txt

Thanks! That worked loads!