Create handler for zotero:// links

Hey guys,

a short question: I downloaded zotero from their website.

I then unpacked the archive and created a .desktop file at "/home/local/share/applications/ ".

Now I would like to open in applications like libreoffice, kate etc links of this kind “zotero://open-pdf/library/items/GDG4PK73?page=1” .

This should basically open a pdf-file at page 1 in okular.

But it doesn’t work and I have no idea how to register zotero as a handler for zotero:// .

I already modified the desktop to file so that it looks like this

"[Desktop Entry]
Name=Zotero
Exec=/home/Studium/Tools/Zotero_linux-x86_64/zotero
Icon=/home/.local/share/icons/Tela/scalable@2x/apps/zotero.svg
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=Office;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/zotero
"

But it still doesn’t work. The error message is "Unable to create io-slave. klauncher said: Unbekanntes Protokoll „zotero“ " , whereas “Unbekanntes Protokoll” translates to unknown protocol.

Super grateful for any help with this! Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!

You didn’t install zotero! Delete it, open pamac, activate access to AUR and install it from there.

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, it was installed before and didn’t work either. Nevertheless, I did as you said (again) and its still not working. I also modified the .desktop file again and added “MimeType=x-scheme-handler/zotero” , but I still get the same error message as before.

It sounds like you’re calling it from the web browser (as a plugin). Where have you seen (or tried) this type of invocation of zotero? If you install it as a browser plugin, does it work?

Thanks again for your reply!

Im trying to invoke the link from text-editor (zettlr in this case). The link itself is generated by extracting annotations from a pdf-file with zotfile. Zotfile is, thereby, creating a reference together with the link.

Unfortunately, I can add screenshots here :frowning: But in my editor it looks like this
(Keller 2011:43)
and when clicked
(Keller 2011:43](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/GDG4PK73?page=1))

So you have zotfile installed as a zotero plugin?

yes, exactly.

I never used it. I can’t help you any further. Maybe someone else can guide you.

Anyone?