Crackling/hissing in headphones when charger is plugged in

I have an issue where there is a constant hissing/crackling noise through the headphones when the laptop is plugged in. The hissing disappears when the laptop is unplugged. The laptop is a Huawei Matebook 14 with an AMD Ryzen 5 APU. The crackling is present in Manjaro, Fedora and Linux Mint using Wayland or Xorg—but not on Windows 10, which leads me to believe that it is either a software issue, or a hardware issue that can be worked around somehow.

Audio through the speakers, and my external Soundblaster card, is not affected. I do not have any loopback devices in alsamixer. Turning the audio off has no effect (the noise is on top of the audio signal, if you understand what I mean). Nor does muting the microphone make any difference.

I have tried plugging the charger directly into the socket instead of my extension lead, and using a different USB-C charger, to no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas? I could really appreciate some help; even though it’s not a major issue, it’s very irritating.

You’re not the only one but there doesn’t seem to be a solution yet, and you’ve found the workaround already:

Use external speakers for the moment.

:sob:

No need to be so pessimistic, the solution was there! All I had to do was put

options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer,dell-headset-multi

into the file

/etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf

…and reboot. No more hissing to be heard. Gnome does ask me which device I want to use (headset or headphones) at startup. Is it the alc-255-acer or the dell-headset-multi that fixes the hissing?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.