Could not chdir to home directory /home/DOMAIN/demo: Permission denied

Hello everyone. I have some issue. I added my PC with Manjaro into domain, its working ok, but when i’m trying to login it bush me out into logon screen, if i try do it throw terminsl/ssh it set: Could not chdir to home directory /home/DOMAIN/demo: Permission denied
-bash: /home/DOMAIN/demo/.bash_profile: access dineid.
I dom’t know how to fix it. I have session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0077 in /etc/pam.d/system-auth, but its doesn’t effect. If i make ls -al /home/DOMAIN/ i see is has a correct permisiions its owned by account demo.

Hi @valtiel86, and welcome!

While I am unable to help you with the domain and so on (I though that was only Microsuck (?) I can tell you that looks like some kind of permissionins error.

And it being Windoze and Linux combined, I have no doubt it can get complicated and/or tricky. Quickly.

Double check your permissions for the directory, by fist starting to check if it actually
exists.

stat <fullDirrectoryPath>

Where <fullDirrectoryPath> is the full path of the directory who’s details you want to check.

If it exists, temporarily make it world read- ad writable:

chmod 0777 <fullDirrectoryPath>

Where <fullDirrectoryPath> is the full path to the directory.

Note:

This should only be temporary and not a permanent change, as it can have security implications.

Test it properly and see if it works now. If it does and you have other users whose access works fine, copy the permissions from those. You can check the permissions with the previous mentioned stat command and look for the line starting with Access:

An example:

$ stat /tmp

File: /tmp
Size: 1020            Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   directory
Device: 31h/49d Inode: 1           Links: 26
Access: (1777/drwxrwxrwt)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2021-06-02 10:31:26.122727459 +0200
Modify: 2021-06-02 11:44:40.565084837 +0200
Change: 2021-06-02 11:44:40.565084837 +0200
Birth: -

In this example the first line starting with Access is:

Access: (1777/drwxrwxrwt)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)

And from that we know the permissions to /tmp is 1777.

Also check that the ownership of the directory is correct, as well as that the user belongs to the necessary groups. To check what groupss a user belongs to, run, as the user you want to check:

groups

Compare the output to a working user, if possible, and if the user doesn’t belong too the necessary group, add him/her:

sudo usermod -aG <newGroupName>

Where <newGroupName> is the name of the group you wish to add the user to.

Anything else, and I have absolutely no idea.

Hope this helps!

I have no windoze (i hate this crap and avoiding it) in my shema, i have samba-ad-dc on debian and client workstations on linuxmint and manjaro. This is a manjaro pam.d issues. Im logging in domain from linuxmint perfectely, and some PCs with manjaro loggedin normal but now its dont work for a new PCs, if i just copy system-auth file from working machine it create this permissions issue.