Copy of a Manjaro system on a new SSD doesn't show up in grub menu after executing update-grub

Hi !

I’ve just copied my system from a hard disk drive to a new SSD through rsync using instructions from the arch wiki (I’m not allowed to include the link). I’d like to boot from this new drive. What I’ve done so far:

• modifying /etc/fstab on the SSD with the SSD’s UUID
  • executing update-grub

The output is the following:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Manjaro Linux (21.3.7) on /dev/nvme0n1p1
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done

I do not see any new grub boot menu entry at boot time after that. My /boot partition is located on my HDD, because I think my motherboard is too old to boot using an NVME drive.

Am I doing something wrong ? Thanks !

Try this command.
sudo echo GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false >> /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub

Hi @Jim.B thanks.

This flag is already set to false. As we can see in the uptade-grub output, os-prober is indeed executed.

Did you clone using dd or clonezilla?

And did you keep the previous device attached to the system?

If yes then detach the previous device as you will have duplicated disk/partition UUIDs which is Universal Uniqui IDentifier - which is no longer unique and thus creating problems.

1 Like

Hi,

I used rsync, as in the Arch wiki’s rsync page, “As a backup utility” paragraph.

After the copy, I modified the /etc/fstab to include the new copied system’s partition UUID as / and removed the HDD’s partition UUID (and associated line). Sorry for not mentioning this second part in my intial post.

The /boot partition however, is the same in both /etc/fstab, since I did not copy this partition to the new disk. Should I delete it from the SSD’s fstab ?

The problem seems to be that grub was installed from the system on the old drive.
Boot from a usb, chroot into your new system and reinstall grub from there.

How did you come to this conclusion ? I’m not sure I get the point:

• update-grub seems to identify an existing system on /dev/nvme0n1p1 well (see first post)
  • do you suggest I should run the update-grub that is on the SSD while the running system was mounted from the HDD ? If so, why ?