Connecting Bluetooth earbuds disables Wi-Fi

Hi. I have Blueman, a Bluetooth manager and it works flawlessly with connecting my wireless earbuds to my laptop but the problem is that whenever I’d do so, my Wi-Fi cuts out on the laptop. How can I fix this? I’m not very familiar with both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi too much so I’ll provide any information needed. :smile:

Yes, Bluetooth can affect the wi-fi connection. This is especially true for older wi-fi networks based on the 2.4GHz frequency band (802.11b). This is so because Bluetooth operates at the same 2.4GHz frequency band and signal overlap is possible. You should not connect bluetooth to both Phone as well as Windows as it affects. Try to disconnect one of the device and try… It may not affect your wifi connection.

The Bluetooth earbuds are disconnected from everything though. And our internet is I believe the Verzion 5g cube thing. Which is modern.

Your 5g cube thing may provide 5GHz wifi, but the laptop wifi card not be able to use it. The first thing you should look into is the wifi-/bluetooth hardware the laptop uses. The command lspci will probably list it, the command lspci -vv gives then info about the kernel module it runs for wifi/bluetooth. There may be configuration options for the module, or alternative (newer) modules that alleviate the problem. Next, one can search the forum for existing threads about that kernel module.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 02)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)

This is the device, as advertised. The module it uses probably is ath9k, you can check that with lsmod |grep -e ath9k. I see a couple of posts for your device on the forum, but no solution for the issue.
If you see ‘ath9k’ is used, one thing to try:
create a file: /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf with the content:

options ath9k btcoex_enable=1

reboot and see if it helps. If it does not help, try explicitly setting the value to =0 in the file and reboot again. The parameter description is “btcoex_enable:Enable wifi-BT coexistence (int)”. Good luck.