Conky doesn't adapt to external monitor

Hi there,

first to say: I don’t know if this is a behavior / issue of Conky or Manjaro, since I’m new to Manjaro / Linux.

Manjaro is installed to a Lenovo notebook, which has a HD resolution (1920x1080) and an external UWHD monitor (2560x1080) is connected to this notebook, which is my primary monitor (on the desk).

After booting and login, Conky appears to a 1920x1080 resolution and is not set the top right, which I’ve set in the Conky config (alignment = ‘top_right’).

Workaround: kill the Conky process and start Conky right after again - then the new resolution will be used and Conky shows it’s data in the top right.

Is there another (automatically) way to get Conky reload it’s config after the resolution / monitor is changed?

Use xinerama_head option as suggested in this issue discussion. Try with different number 1, 2. Also see Conky - ArchWiki. I think if conky is not able to detect the 2nd monitor it should default to first one.

alignment = 'top_right',
xinerama_head = 2,
1 Like

If conky autostart does not work but conky can be restarted correctly after system is booted it is possible that conky is trying to start before the external monitor is full initialised

I had a similar problem on this desktop system that only has 1 monitor
I found that adding a delay of 3 seconds to the conky autostart command was sufficient for conky to start correctly
Conky has a command option ‘-p’ (or ‘–pause’) to set delay time in seconds

• Open the conky.desktop launcher in the autostart folder in a text editor

nano ~/.config/autostart/conky.desktop

• find the command to start conky

Exec=/usr/bin/conky -d

• change it to this

Exec=/usr/bin/conky -dp3

or this if you are not into the whole brevity thing

Exec=/usr/bin/conky --daemonize --pause=3

• save and exit text editor

• reboot and see if it works

ArchWiki suggests using 5 second pause but on older machines without an SSD this might need to be set to 10 seconds

1 Like

Sorry for the late response, answer #1(@ishaan2479) was the solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.