Conflicting files while installing driver for Realtek8188FTV

Hi, I’m trying to install driver for my Realtek 8188FTV WiFi USB adapter. I’m using kernel 6.1.12 so I tried to install driver from https://github.com/supremegamers/rtl8188fu. However, I can’t complete the installation since the system tells me that there are conflicting files:

[witek@witek-np535u3c ~]$ sudo pamac build 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git
[sudo] password for witek: 
Warning: Building packages as dynamic user
Warning: Setting build directory to /var/cache/pamac
Preparing...
Checking 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git dependencies...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To build (1):
  8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git  r120.40d4a49-1    AUR

Edit build files : [e] 
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N] y

Cloning 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git build files...
Running as unit: run-u68.service
Finished with result: success
Main processes terminated with: code=exited/status=0
Service runtime: 1.209s
CPU time consumed: 213ms
Generating 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git information...
Running as unit: run-u69.service
Service runtime: 2.630s
CPU time consumed: 2.715s

Building 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git...
Running as unit: run-u70.service
Press ^] three times within 1s to disconnect TTY.
==> Making package: 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git r120.40d4a49-1 (Sat 25 Feb 2023 02:27:41 PM CET)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Cloning 8188fu git repo...
Cloning into bare repository '/var/cache/private/pamac/8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git/8188fu'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 1106, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (188/188), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (100/100), done.
remote: Total 1106 (delta 115), reused 137 (delta 87), pack-reused 918
Receiving objects: 100% (1106/1106), 9.28 MiB | 701.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (571/571), done.
  -> Found blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf
  -> Found dkms.conf
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    8188fu ... Skipped
    blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf ... Passed
    dkms.conf ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of 8188fu git repo...
Cloning into '8188fu'...
done.
Switched to a new branch 'makepkg'
==> Starting prepare()...
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
==> Checking for packaging issues...
==> Creating package "8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Adding install file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git r120.40d4a49-1 (Sat 25 Feb 2023 02:28:08 PM CET)
==> Cleaning up...
Service runtime: 29.000s
CPU time consumed: 15.864s
Running as unit: run-u71.service
Service runtime: 2.186s
CPU time consumed: 2.405s

Checking keyring...                                                                                                               [1/1]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                             [1/1]
Loading packages files...                                                                                                         [1/1]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                        [1/1]
Error: Failed to commit transaction:
conflicting files:
- 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git: /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188fufw.bin already exists in filesystem (owned by linux-firmware)

Even though there are already existing files, the adapter does not work out of the box. Moreover, I have not blacklisted anything in modprobe.d directory. Should I replace the existing file?

Hi @ie8yq, and welcome!

On the github page you linked to, there’s a big notification that states:

WARNING: This driver is made specifically for this kernel source GitHub - hmtheboy154/Darkmatter-kernel at umbral, if you want to compile it for other kernel, choose the main branch and cherry-pick commit cad65a1088126ca5dd56e2ec840c497bb1a26617

So I doubt that’ll do the trick.

However, there does seem to be a driver for you in the AUR:

$ pamac search 8188
[...]
8188fu-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                                                                 r8.1d12cae-3            AUR
Kernel driver module for Realtek RTL8188FU and RTL8188FTV Wireless 802.11n USB 2.0 adapters (device id 0bda:f179)

So you can install it with:

pamac build 8188fu-dkms-git

I suspect if you wanted to use the other driver, you’re out of luck, though.

The driver appears to be available in the AUR. I will post both as the second one looks to be newer. The driver can be installed manually (makepkg), via pamac GUI or in terminal using pamac

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/8188fu-kelebek333-dkms-git

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git

Be sure to have dkms and the appropriate linux headers for your kernel installed. Reboot after installation and see if it is working.

In terminal:

pamac build 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git

or

pamac build 8188fu-kelebek333-dkms-git

So I doubt that’ll do the trick.

However, there does seem to be a driver for you in the AUR:

$ pamac search 8188
[...]
8188fu-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                                                                 r8.1d12cae-3            AUR
Kernel driver module for Realtek RTL8188FU and RTL8188FTV Wireless 802.11n USB 2.0 adapters (device id 0bda:f179)

So you can install it with:

pamac build 8188fu-dkms-git

I suspect if you wanted to use the other driver, you’re out of luck, though.

I know that there are other drivers available but the one you suggested clearly states that is for kernel version 4.15.x ~ 5.9.x. Also, it gets the same error during installation - conflicting file

See the pinned comment on its AUR page:

Upstream build is broken for kernels 5.8 up. For kernel versions > 5.8 and < 6, please use package 8188fu-kelebek333-dkms-git. For kernel versions >= 6 and < 6.2, please use package 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git. For versions >= 6.2, in-kernel drivers are available.

The driver appears to be available in the AUR. I will post both as the second one looks to be newer. The driver can be installed manually (makepkg), via pamac GUI or in terminal using pamac

Be sure to have dkms and the appropriate linux headers for your kernel installed. Reboot after installation and see if it is working.

In terminal:

pamac build 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git

or

pamac build 8188fu-kelebek333-dkms-git

I tried installing the first one and it gets the same error - conflicting file. Also, it’s for kernel version <6. The second repo is exact same repo I mentioned in my original post

See the pinned comment on its AUR page:

Upstream build is broken for kernels 5.8 up. For kernel versions > 5.8 and < 6, please use package 8188fu-kelebek333-dkms-git. For kernel versions >= 6 and < 6.2, please use package 8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git. For versions >= 6.2, in-kernel drivers are available.

'8188fu-supremegamers-dkms-git` is exact same repo I tried to install, I mentioned it in my original post.

You can always try to install kernel 6.2 and test:

mhwd-kernel --install linux62

You can always try to install kernel 6.2 and test:

mhwd-kernel --install linux62

Thanks, it worked. I guess that downgrading the kernel would work as well. Thank you for your help and time

No, not to get it working without installing the dkms driver.

And you’ll need to keep an eye on the kernel when updating, so that you don’t end up with an EOL kernel

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.