Computer Hard Locks with Kernel 6.1

Hey!

I’ve been having a problem with updating to kernel 6.1.x. As the title says, plasmashell dumps core the moment my WiFi NIC connects. The machine hard locks and I need to physically turn it off and back on (no, I can’t even ssh in). Booting back to kernel 6.0.x is totally fine. Here is the pastebin of the relevant portion of my system logs.

It’s pretty cut and dried. The moment it authenticates, plasmashell dumps.

Jan 24 08:26:26 myhostname wpa_supplicant[1537]: wlan0: SME: Trying to authenticate with de:ad:de:ad:be:ef (SSID=‘My-SSID’ freq=5745 MHz)
Jan 24 08:26:26 myhostname kernel: wlan0: authenticate with de:ad:de:ad:be:ef
Jan 24 08:26:27 myhostname systemd-coredump[2101]: [🡕] Process 1656 (plasmashell) of user 1000 dumped core.

NIC:
NetGear, Inc. A6210
using module: mt76x2u

This is ONLY with Kernel 6.1. Kernel 6.0 is happy.

Any thoughts? Am I alone?

Thank you!

M.

The device shall be ran with kernel 5.15 : NetGear A6210 (linux-hardware.org)

To try a newer kernel, the driver has probably a bug : There is a fix for kernel 6.1 NetGear A6210 (linux-hardware.org)

Let us know if you found something else

Note to future generations:

Should you land here from Google, I believe what the problem was, although I hadn’t found any log to prove it, is that I had AUR versions of the VirtualBox kernel modules installed. I’ll be honest and I don’t remember WHY I installed the AUR ones when there are blessed ones. I removed the AUR package and let pacman install the the blessed one and everything seems fine.

The takeaway is that if you are installing non-tested kernel modules, YMMV…

Manjaro: linux61-virtualbox-host-modules
AUR: virtualbox-host-dkms

-> % uname -a
Linux aragorn 6.1.9-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Feb  1 20:38:52 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.