Compositor broke? How to fix

Hi all,

So a few days ago, I decided to change my SDDM and my splash screen. I used a different SDDM screen and no splash screen. Long story short, Manjaro had a difficult time booting into plasma but it did after a minute or so. However, once it booted up, things were broken. The blur effect was gone, the animations wouldnt work and many windows were buggy (making the screen black etc.). So I asked my friend about it who has quite a lot of experience with Linux and he told me that my compositor broke. Although I didn’t wanna do anything that could potentially risk breaking my Linux I came here to ask for help. Any ideas?

Also update: just uninstalled deepin DE and now Linux won’t boot at all lmao. Would appreciate if someone could help me through all of that

Hello,

And with that you removed a lot of other components required…
Your system was flawed the moment you mixed KDE Plasma with Deepin.

Yet you did it in a 9 minutes interval from your first post.

Look inside /var/log/pacman.log and reinstall the removed packages except the Deepin ones.
Probably this will help from TTY (if you have access to it) either booting in runlevel 3, or:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu plasma-desktop sddm qt5-base gtk2 gtk3

If that will not work, do it from a USB install and chroot into your installed system.

1 Like