Compiz-easy-patch removed from repos

I’ve removed compiz easy patch and installed the latest git version. Seems to work.

@Photon ,I don’t know. The text I’ve pasted was taken from the output of the build processs. (I did not remove anything at that point)). It happened after I updated manajoro today. After reboot compiz didn’t work anymore…

The build was not successful so it is not surprising that Compiz didn’t work after a reboot, I was just wondering if there was some output during the build process which helpt to understand what failed.

Not really. One patch seemed not to have worked, after that compilation progress to 4% - then this meager line. Nothing else.

I think, this is quite relevant information for the package maintainer to fix the build problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are right. Obviously I was too baffled to see broken code in the vicinity of manjaro :wink: I’ll try to reproduce it.

1 Like

Simpler version:
If the package is dropped, there is a reason for that, and it’s not because they are a company now.

Yeah, yeah “community”

Could you elaborate? I really like Manjaro, I’d expected that they at least would announce it together with their reasons to abandon it.

Lack of spare time. It’s not easy to get info from M-Team sometimes, mostly because they don’t have time for casual chit-chat. Once I read conversation about Manjaro Architect if my memory don’t fail me. Matti said that to accomplish something (don’t remember what exactly) he needs to cut his time for sleep. So they’re running on the edge.

Don’t want to speculate, maybe because interest from users is too low, or they left it for next stable update announcement. Compiz was dropped after or before stable branch update?

I’m not too concerned as I’ve been using compiz 0.8 from AUR on my second manjaro install for a fairly long time as well.

Yes, once in a while I have to rebuild the packages but it doesn’t take a hugely long time in terminal if you have the command at hand.

If the AUR easy patch doesn’t build properly, I’ll just move to compiz 0.8.

1 Like
  1. Thanks to everyone for getting involved in the Compiz debate. Obvious, but if people don’t participate we won’t get anywhere. Thanks for tagging people.

2. Drama is useless. No blaming, let’s just put together a list of people that can maintain these packages. We let Manjaro know, these people will do the work. If the list shrinks to zero again in the future, then they can remove it once again.

3. I’m not a developer. But I can help. If someone can guide me, I’m willing to put some time on it. Whatever I can help with. Check code, translations, etc.

4. It sucks that a system update kills Compiz. But, as soon as you restart your system, open a terminal and type away:

pamac build compiz-gtk

pamac build compiz-bcop

pamac build libcompizconfig

pamac build compizconfig-python

pamac build ccsm

pamac build compiz-fusion-plugins-main

pamac build compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

pamac build compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

pamac build emerald

pamac build emerald-themes

pamac build fusion-icon

libtool --finish /usr/lib/compiz

And Compiz is working again!

1. Your Settings will load automatically, but if not keep a settings backup file.

2. I’m a newby, don’t trash me for my post. If I said or did something wrong please advise respectfully.

3. Remember, the end of the world is near, no need to stress about these things. = )

2 Likes

A quick update to say that the issue has also been reported on Manjaro’s Reddit with the Tech Support label.

Given the impacts of the latest update, it would seem that Compiz is far more widely used than Manjaro team members may think. :wink:

1 Like

Update: I chose to completely remove easy patch from my original manjaro install, before this latest round of updates. After the updates I went with compiz 0.8 from AUR so that both my Manjaro installs now use the same thing.

Also, compiz 0.9 (and then the replacement easy patch) had always displayed messy screen flashes/flickers when I tried to use wobbly windows so I kept that disabled. I had no such issue with 0.8 on my second install (xfce with budgie added).

Sure enough, install no. 1 on compiz 0.8 can now use wobbly windows with no issue.

Footnote: for the information gatherers in this thread, I’d installed compiz 0.9 from Manjaro’s repos right from the start, ie 2015, and then switched to easy patch when original compiz 0.9 was no longer maintained. It’s been a mainstay of this system all this while.

I really like the combo of xfce with compiz.

1 Like

Silly question: why the forked Compiz project, Compiz Reloaded comes from version 0.8 and not from version 0.9 ?

Arch Wiki says:

There are two versions of Compiz available, the 0.8 series which is written in C and the 0.9 series which is a complete re-write of Compiz in C++. As of August 2016, both series are actively developed. Compiz 0.9 is developed by the Compiz Maintainers on Launchpad whilst Compiz 0.8 is developed by the Compiz Reloaded project on GitLab. The two series cannot be installed side by side.

Possibly, some changes were made in 0.9 which some people don’t like, but I can’t tell what it is…

1 Like

This is from Compiz - Debian Wiki

Two versions of Compiz are in existence, Compiz 0.9.0 and Compiz 0.8.0. The former is a rewrite of Compiz in C++ and the latter is the continued-development of the C version of Compiz by the Compiz Reloaded project. Both are adequately maintained, but while Ubuntu carries and develops Compiz 0.9, the package in Debian is the Compiz 0.8 “Reloaded” version. The difference between the two is primarily how many plugins are supported, as the 0.9 rewrite had to exclude many of them. Compiz 0.8 is also popularly considered to be faster and more stable

I don’t know the current status of Compiz 0.9 in Ubuntu or AUR, but I don’t think the Manjaro easy patch version had the Atlantis add-on for desktop cube. Yes, it’s whimsical, but I enjoyed that add-on in MX and my 2nd Manjaro install. And now it’s working fine in the first Manj install.

Also, like I said, compiz 0.8 wobbly windows works better on my Manjaro install than 0.9’s version. So at least in that respect stability is better. I was too lazy to switch to 0.8 when Manjaro’s easy patch could give me the nice windows overview effects and desktop cube in xfce (wobbly windows or atlantis are not necessities :grin: ). But since easy patch was removed, I thought I might as well switch fully and get everything.

1 Like

I use Compiz and all its glory. Have been for a decade. The more time passes, the more difficult it is to install/use. Over the past several years it has been a grueling and all-consuming effort to get it installed and working. I have written directions on the Linux mint forum years back trying to peace it together, then someone got it working now its going away again. Its really just unbelievable that several of the single best things about Linux are going by the way side making Linux more and more like windows.

There is nothing like Compiz. Nothing! Touch screens… Great. Fancy decorations… Great. Productivity… Great. Customization’s… Great. Nothing even comes close to Compiz.

The older it gets the more things are removed, the less developers work on it and the more frustrated I (and many others) get trying to keep it alive on my boxes.

I cannot understand why this is not the single most used compositer. While it takes some time learning how to configure, and can render your desktop useless with the wrong configs, after the learning curve its freakin awesome.

The embedded desktop terminal is very hard in KDE tho, i cannot figure out how to do it. I love the terminal embedded in my desktop it just makes things so much easier and cool as s#!t looking.

Anyway, its working on my box (mostly, it crashes sometimes and the reflection plugin is missing and the fusion icon doesn’t work) so I will NOT be updating. Yes… Yes… whatever. I will sacrifice updates and security to keep compiz working. I have a pfsense firewall at my network perimeter and another inside my DMZ.

Compiz 0.8 is way better then 9.

I dont use the easy patch. it doesnt work for me. I install the packages from the AUR because the easy patch is more buggy and is missing some plugins.

I will gladly provide any time needed to help the project, I am not a developer but i can follow directions, write guides (with impeccable detail) and test.

Lets make it happen!!

I also use Cairo Dock which would be great to see brought back. I heard it was but then it seemed to die off again. Best dock ever!

2 Likes

I wonder why then you even rant about the unrelated program you don’t use :man_shrugging:
If you use the AUR, then I guess continue to update Manjaro and continue to use the AUR nothing would change for you as you don’t use what is going to be removed from the repo.

I was just joining the conversation since i was tagged on it. I think Compiz is awesome and should be considered and developed as a primary software for GNU/Linux. I didn’t mean to appear as though i was ranting. I just really think the software is great and has made my computer usage significantly better since i discovered it many years ago. Back even all the way to the commodore Linux release which i still have archived in my cd’s from all those years ago. Maybe 2011???

I may not understand everything but from my understanding, Manjaro team drops the official support for this specific (old and not so maintained apparently) package, but there is still possibility to get this same package on the AUR (I’m looking at it right now here AUR (en) - compiz-easy-patch). From my understanding, people who would like to continue to use it should move to the AUR for this specific package, and from my understanding this is not a big issue, it just doesn’t have the Manjaro team dedicated attention from now on (as the team should decide where they should dedicate their limited time).

Hello, you have indeed misunderstood the problem.
Compiz was originally installed directly from the manjaro repositories.
Then, when Compiz was removed, a new package, Compiz-easy-patch, replaced it from these same repositories.
As the package was not updated with the last update, Compiz was not working anymore. There is no functionality to update a package installed from the repositories with AUR. Indeed, a possible solution is to uninstall and reinstall from AUR.
The real problem is that the development team didn’t tell anyone, even though Manjaro is a company-supported operating system today. Having a broken operating system after a system update, worse than with Windows, is not a feature I personally look for.

1 Like