Compatibility of Canon Color imageCLASS MF753Cdw

Copying a post I made on r/ManjaroLinux

I’m running Manjaro Stable, and wish to continue in the future.

I suddenly have to replace my printer, since it has died on me today. I want to buy a laser multi-function.

I was considering buying a HP one for ease of install, but a quick search made me think otherwise and I’ve got my eyes on Canon Color imageCLASS MF753Cdw, because of this post.

I’ve ran into problems installing and running printers on Linux Manjaro in the past, and I’d much prefer to check with you guys before committing.

Please feel free to tell me if you think I’m wrong, and how I should go about it.

While the forum isnt generally supposed to be used for hardware recommendations … I feel I should counteract some of the attitudes displayed in the linked post.

Brother products are an absolute nightmare if they dont automatically work well.
I’ve seen multiple occurrences of say for example the drivers and things work but the printer will absolutely not print any darker than ~0.25 grey. There may be some super secret proprietary PIN you can punch into the keypad to access some firmware settings but support wont give it to you because you didnt buy the printer directly from brother…

I’m not saying that your selection WONT work … I’m just saying you might want to be very SURE that it does (and to probably avoid brother altogether if you are buying used).

Thank you for your response.

However, as you can see, I never considered Brother - I was considering HP since it has good support in Linux Manjaro, it seems - I never tried one - but the comments on the link I posted made me consider a Canon, the model I name in the title.

I’m asking here precisely to make sure the model I’m considering works.

Ah, right … I looked at the first few links to brother on the reddit post.

For all that would arrive here with the same question : no luck for you. No one provided any info on compatibility of that model, so I didn’t buy it.