Comparison of bootloaders

Within architect, is it possible to use systemd-boot with an encrypted root partition? I tried a week ago, but architect warned me that I would be leaving the installer without a bootloader. So I went back and installed grub.

The mistake you and others make is that when talking about SystemD, you are actually talking about a collection of tools that are meant to work together.
SystemD is not a single executable, it is rather a set of separate utils whom all do one thing on their own :wink:
Otherwise you could say that “Linux” does everything on it’s own also :smiley:

1 Like

Gummiboot :face_with_hand_over_mouth::teddy_bear:

1 Like

That’s just the name of the tool which sd-boot is derived from.
Gummiboot/sd-boot is only one tool from the total collection named SystemD…

Mhm!:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
But I prefer saying Gummiboot as it is prettier , and more amusing! :star_struck:

Systemd-boot is a project built on top of Gummiboot!:cherry_blossom:

Oh! Have a sweet little hug! :hugs:

2 Likes

You’re right … I for one had been perceiving it that way. :blush:

Meanwhile the OP lacked to backup this statements with links to proof unfortunately.

And as an NVIDIA-GPU owner I’d glady have some proof.

Also there is a lot of fanboyism in this topic.

See my reply here:

The only fanboy-ism i have is towards “Linux”, the rest is just personal preference of usage.
I never “trash” anything without arguments why i think it’s bad…

I’m not so sure about that i checked 2 systemd “executable” bootctl and systemctl they both are linked to a systemd-share library (don’t remember the exact name). So yes it’s a set of tools but I’m not sure they are so “independent”. Anyway don’t think I’m against systemd as it’s not the case.

[quote=“TriMoon, post:68, topic:32550, full:true”]

See my reply here:

I can not find what the English name of the fallacy is which you use here, but “you’re evading the burden of proof”.

Also “my replies on the internet”. Are you for real?
Why should I dig in your complete internet activity to figure out the proof? Do it yourself!

@RoestVrijStaal i know it can be hard to fully understand another language, but if you prefer it in dutch that’s no problem for me either…

Ik gaf openlijk toe dat er geen officiele referenties zijn waar mensen die dat als bewijs willen zien voor mijn claim, en gaf hen een optie om mijn uitingen op het internet te gebruiken als bewijs indien ze perse een referentie voor die claim willen.
Ik heb ook uitgelegd waarom ik die claim doe met argumenten…
Dus stap af van die hoge paard ok? (want de grond is erg hard)

I hope it’s ok to have a multi-language response to clear mis-understanding…

Do we agree that most “executables” are linked to the stdlib and thus in your p.o.v. they would also not count as “so independent”? :wink:

We can, but it depends which logic is implemented in the systemd libraries… it could be a monolithic library with small executable around it. But it’s off topic and i don’t have the details. And as I’m not against systemd but also not to push systemd to replace all other tools… for me grub do the job… systemd-boot seems interesting but my opinion is that its ecosystem is like as Wayland not yet ready for mass adoption.
And i don’t know the future… with how ARM gain into servers and begin in desktop… how will be the future i don’t know…

1 Like

That’s the beauty of FOSS: No one knows where it is headed exactly, but we can make educated guesses right?
That’s why i didn’t phrase it as Linux should or needs to switch to sd-boot, but rather made an educated guess that it would be moving towards it…
And yes the whole Linux “Operating system” is tied to each other piece that makes the whole, no matter which distro one uses.
In fact every binary executable is using the library of the CPU it is meant for on assembly level :wink:
So saying that systemd is not so “independent” because it uses x/y/z library is not fair to any piece of software and only pollutes the notion of that software…

Maybe you are not aware of it, but most linux distro’s already use SystemD. (Manjaro incl.)
Some use more pieces of it as others, but their main system already starts with Systemd, note i say “starts” not “boots” :wink:

Yes. Just choose /boot as mount point for your efi partition. That’s the simplest way to do it.

I was facing an issue with systemd-boot during my last install, i had selected /boot as mount point and installed boot loader when i was trying to complete the installation it was giving me message that boot loader is not installed, it tried few times then finally gave up and installed grub

Oh, your boot partition were nor flagged as boor and ESP!

my boot partition was flagged as /boot and i tried sd-boot when it didn’t work then i changed the boot partition flag to /boot/efi and installed grub

Flagged is appending a specific byte that tells the BIOS to boot from this partition. :upside_down_face:

That was exactly the problem I had.