Command line difference between Ubuntu and Manjaro

Actually I am newbie to linux.I am learning General linux commands.Which suits for Ubuntu but I have some doubts about the commands are same or different in Manjaro compared to ubuntu

The software is different, it depends also entirely on what you want to do.
So ls does exactly the same thing.
But if you want to install something, you won’t get far `apt install firefox’ instead, you need to find alternatives.

With Manjaro we use pamac, so you can do pamac install firefox. Being an Arch based distribution, we can also do sudo pacman -S firefox and many people use a wrapper (yay, and paru, are possibly most common) so you can try ‘paru firefox’ and see how that works.

Pamac, yay, and paru will call for elevated privilege, but with Pacman you must use sudo.

Ubuntu is also Debian based - so there were a few things I did with Linux Mint, for example, which are specific to Debian - and I had to find alternatives (forgot what they were now).

Mostly the differences between distributions aren’t much beyond package management - and the biggest differences are the branches, Debian vs SUSE vs Fedora vs Arch.

Mostly you learn your commands as you go, depending on what you need, unless you want to spend a few years trying to memorise and learn a ton of stuff you’ll probably never use.

But certainly I’d recommend you start by installing tmatrix, then run tmatrix -s 60 -f 0.3,0.6
Because now you took a pill, and you’re going down a rabbithole.

4 Likes

Thank you

Hi,

You can check that page to see the differences between the different package managers, which are the only differences (with the init system but in most cases it’ll be systemd) between different distros. As Ben said, everything else is the same, not only for gnu/linux distros, but also for every unix based OS, which includes mac, the BSDs and many more… basically everything except windoz.

2 Likes

The answer is: yes and no

It might help to think in terms of

• what do you want to do
  • what does the distribution support to complete the task
  • what desktop (KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE) are you using

Distrowatch packages:

• Ubuntu
  • Manjaro
    NOTE: Might need to click “All tracked packages” [refresh]

The greatest difference will be in package management (and init system). But there are similarities, like with the GNU coreutils package or the software hosted by freedesktop (i.e, systemd). Distributions may create their own command line or GUI applications to complete a task which fits within their vision and purpose.

Every distribution has their own online documentation. Find it, search it, and read it. Almost every application has their own documentation in the form of a manual page (wiki, archwiki, arch online man pages) which can be read at the command line using the man command or using the option -h and/or --help, or read online. Always find a distribution’s and application’s home page. GUI applications often support F1 for help or a menu item Help.

Some examples:

man cp # q to quit
man -k 'copy files'  # search the short page description
cp --help
pacman -Qo cp  # package that owns cp; only distributions that use the pacman package manager

pacman -Qi coreutils  # details about package that owns cp; notice URL; go there for more help

Another term you will hear is shell. One thing the shell does is interprets what a user types on the command line. Historically the default shell has been bash. But you may see z-shell. Check out William Schotts website, he has a tutorial on learning linux commands and writing bash scripts. The Linux Foundation has a free Intro to Linux online course at Edx.

2 Likes

When I switched from mint to manjaro I found the Pacman rosetta cheatsheet a god send

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

2 Likes